Author Topic: Atkins Family in or near Bellingham late 1800s  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Janice (Watkins) Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Atkins Family in or near Bellingham late 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 February 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette, you have done some great research on my behalf!
Although confusing, this method of naming children is apparently not unique and I have since come across some other similar entries.  My Tree program questions me when I enter these families, so I try to add notes to explain the apparent non-relationships.

In fact, even now, I have a some living relatives who are not "married" (i.e. no registration) and their children have hyphenated surnames!! Exactly what will happen when these hyphenated children decide to marry (or not!) other hyphenated children - will their children have a string of four hyphenated surnames??
Thanks everyone! Keep up the good work, Rootswebbers.
Janice

Offline Marina Maxwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Blogger, Reviewer, Author
    • View Profile
Re: Atkins Family in or near Bellingham late 1800s
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello. Came across your request for information on James Atkins and family of Broomhope Cottage, Birtley, Northumberland. He is my great-grandfather and his wife Ann Parker is my my g-grandmother. I can tell you all about the family. It is complicated as James was actually born illegitimate in Mitford in 1828 and took the Atkins surname from his stepfather later. He was also known as James Atkin Robson at various times, hence the confusion you describe. His son, Edward (Ned) Atkins, emigrated to Canada and my own father (William Atkins) lived with him in Winnipeg in the 1920s. Ned had a number of children but I believe none of them left descendants in Canada. Do contact me privately as I can let you know more. I am on Twitter as @OfArbeia and Facebook as Mary or Marina Maxwell. I also am an author and have the website www.marinamaxwellauthor.com.