Author Topic: Mystery Parish - can you help read this?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Parish - can you help read this?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking a look at this for me

I assumed it started with a C but it could be a T.  I also read the last few letters as -ish or -isk

In terms of the people marrying it is Oliver Naylor and Jane Pepys - the latter was from Mileham and according to his records at Cambridge Ollie was from London.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Well Pepys is not a common name in Suffolk only 2 burials listed on Suffolk Burial Index so the thought she may have been with relatives which might give a hint doesnt hold much hope.
Ann Pepys buried 29 Sep 1638 daughter of Richard esq at St John the Baptist, Stoke by Clare.
John Pepys esq buried 29 April 1642 at the same church.

More Naylor's with burials in the 1600s in quite a few parishes none ending isk or ish.

K

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
Jane's father died when she was young and I can't trace where her mother Jane went afterwards. She did not die in Mileham. I suspect the younger children would be taken along so maybe this mystery parish is a clue to their destination

That being said she was only 17 when she married. Oliver was 33. He lied about their ages on the licence

Cheers

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 02:44 BST (UK) »
Ashley, the word after Suffolk appears to be 'aforesaid' so the place should appear earlier in the document - I assume as the place of residence of Oliver. Is it there? And is it any clearer?

ETA: From the Norfolk Record Office's catalogue we have this entry: "Quitclaim of actions by Oliver Naylor of Tavistock (Devon) to Edward Pepys of Broomsthorpe about debt bond obliging himself and Jane Pepys of Toftrees;" 1661; ref: NAS 1/1/8/31 - so Oliver was from Devon; on findmypast there are a number of Oliver Naylor entries for the parish of Tawstock in northern Devon (as opposed to Tavistock in west Devon; an easy confusion to make). Looking at the image again, I suspect what was assumed to say 'Suffolk' actually says 'Tawstock.' I cannot decipher the word(s) between 'church' and 'Tawstock' though it looks like the clerk wrote Tawstock over two lines, then decided to write it out again on the single line (forgetting to cross out the double-lined entry, perhaps). Thoughts?

Toban

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 April 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Toban

Many thanks for the input.  I'm finding the whole document hard to read - the only place I have access to the licences is at the Society of Genealogists Library.  I got a print out and I will post the whole thing as an attachment.

Sorry to have sown confusion - this Oliver was born Marwood in Devon and his father was rector there.  He himself went on to become rector of Tawstock as you mentioned.  It was his father who is reputed to be the son of Brian of London.  Certainly Brian's will was witnessed by an Oliver Naylor but there is not direct reference to him as a son.  The very short will simply leaves everything to his wife.

If you can make out the text on the attachment I'd appreciate input - I can read about 50% of it

All the best

Ashley

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 April 16 09:59 BST (UK) »
Ashley,

What I can make of it:

… Oliver Naylor of Tawstock in the county of Devon clerk aged 32 years and a Batchelor and … that he intending to marry with Jane Pepys aged 20 years & a maiden the daughter of Jane Pepys of Toftrees in the county of Norfolk widdow who is consenting to the same and that … … noe Lawfull let or … by reason of … consanguinity … or  … … … … … marriage and ye … truly … the made … & … … to be in the p’sh church of Tawstock aforesaid or Mileham in Norfolk

Basically, Oliver Naylor is 32, a clerk (priest) in Tawstock and is unwed; he wants to marry Jane Pepys, who is 20 and thus underage; her widowed mother Jane giving permission for the marriage to take place. The rest is just making sure that there is no legal impediment to the marriage (prior marriage, close blood ties, etc.). Finally, it notes the two parishes in which the marriage may take place.

Hope it helps!

Toban

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 April 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant Toban - thank you very much indeed.

Odd that a 'clerk' should not be entirely truthful - he was 34 and Jane was 17 - maybe he thought the age difference just a little beyond what might be deemed decent.

I've checked the marriage in the original registersimages on Findmypast and the marriage does not appear in either one of those parishes.

Thanks again for all your help

Ashley

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 April 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I/this is irrelevant.

I didn't read the rest, just jumped in at the end, so making assumptions about what you're after (I struggle with the site design to focus and absorb posts, especially over more than one page).  But they appear to have married in London.

Jane PEPYS, daughter of Fermor PEPYS (1581-1660) and Jane LANCASTER, was born on 11 Jul 1644 in Mileham, Norfolk and was buried at Tawstock on 2 Jan 1695/96.

She married Oliver NAYLOR on 12 Sep 1661 in London, England.

Oliver was Rector of Tawstock and Prebendary of Exeter Cathedral from 1661 until his death on 14 Jul 1705. He was buried at Tawstock on 17 Jul 1705.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ukdevon/TawstockInsideMIs.htm
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 April 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Thanks for joining the thread

Where did you get the information about the marriage from?  Do you know which church?

According to what I have found the licence was only issued on 12 October 1661

Thank you

Ashley