Author Topic: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 4)  (Read 10831 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 4)
« on: Sunday 03 April 16 17:43 BST (UK) »
Week 4 all ready - are we all still sticking with it, even though it perhaps hasn't been quiet what we expected? I've picked up a few ideas and new resources, but to be honest I've probably learnt more from being on here and watching how fellow RCers go about solving a problem and what resources they use.

I'm hoping this week might be different as I know very little about DNA.

Week 4:

Genealogical Proof and DNA Testing

Genealogists need to be sure they have found the ‘right’ person and we will cover some of the techniques used to decide on the best match. Also important is how to know when you’ve done enough research to come to a reasonable decision on a match. We’ll also introduce the use of DNA testing in genealogical research. Topics to be covered are:

The principles of the Genealogical Proof Standard
How to establish proof
How to evaluate evidence
An introduction to genetic genealogy with some case studies on using it to break down brick walls.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 4)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 16 17:58 BST (UK) »

I'm particularly looking forward to this part of the Course, as I know very little about DNA.

I'm hoping to be enlightened! (Particularly as it might be the best way of trying to pin down my elusive paternal Grandfather).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 16 18:08 BST (UK) »
I'm very skeptical about DNA! ;D

The reference databases are really very small, and it's mainly US-based?
I can't see how it would help my research at all?

But it might prove useful in the future - give it about 20 years to mature, I reckon.

IMHO it's a triumph of Marketing over expectation.

Just as well I have a busy week, and might not be able to do much.
There's a small matter of running the Isle of Man Beer & Cider Festival! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 16 18:16 BST (UK) »

On the contrary, running something as important as a Beer and Cider Festival is no small matter.  It is a great responsibility that has to be approached in the right manner and with the seriousness that such an auspicious occasion deserves (wish I could be there) ;) ;D ;D ;D

I have to agree with groom, you can learn an awful lot watching Rootschatters solve a problem. I have also found some new resources.

But with that said I am looking forward to learning more about DNA it is something I have not considered, but am interested in the subject and how it works in the context of genealogy.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 April 16 18:24 BST (UK) »

I have persuaded a male cousin on my Father's side to have one of the Ancestry DNA tests, and am very curious to see what it turns up.
I was under the impression that the Y chromosome was only passed down the male line, but have recently read more about Autosomal DNA testing. Shelley on here has written about it in detail.
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 April 16 18:42 BST (UK) »

On the contrary, running something as important as a Beer and Cider Festival is no small matter.  It is a great responsibility that has to be approached in the right manner and with the seriousness that such an auspicious occasion deserves (wish I could be there) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Just 200 beers this year, and 41 ciders and 11 perries!
I run the Cider, Perry & Fruit Wine bar. ;D

So, it's my responsibility to sample all the ciders & perries! Quality control! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 16 20:04 BST (UK) »

Just 200 beers this year, and 41 ciders and 11 perries!
I run the Cider, Perry & Fruit Wine bar. ;D

So, it's my responsibility to sample all the ciders & perries! Quality control! ;D

And I am sure you will do an admiral job...... ;) ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 16 20:08 BST (UK) »
I am enjoying the course, have been researching for a lot of years, but I am learning of new websites and looking forward to learning about DNA.  Trying to decided if I should have my DNA done.  Also my husband as well.

All ready to start week 4

cheers

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 April 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
Oh it's week 4 already and I've already lapsed and not completed week 3! :P I haven't learned a great deal so far, although have got one or two hints and tips from the course and from a few of the comments that I've read from followers/most liked (can't cope with ploughing through the thousands of other comments, life's too short!)
Promise I'll try harder this week ;D
Jewell - Devon, Cornwall and Manchester
North - Somerset, Devon, Dorset, Cardiff and Warrington
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset