Author Topic: James Watson Stewart  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James Watson Stewart
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 April 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Found this...

415, Gallowgate Street, St John Glasgow, High Church, Lanarkshire, Scotland

James Watson   Lodger Male 2   1869    Carter??? Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Carter looks to be an error though (column for occ.)

Nothing showing for who he's is lodging with though? You would need to see original but may br over 2 pages?

Archive reference RG10

SP have a FREE offer of 20 credits http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/heritage/find-your-scottish-ancestors-free-7658198

Code is under heading "How to redeem the offer"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 April 16 00:31 BST (UK) »
If I've got it correctly, he died in Edmonton Dec 1947 so should be on the 1939 Register.  Duly checked that but there is no entry at all for a James Stewart born 10/10/1868.

There is just one James W Stewart born 1868 listed - not in London, but living at 4 Park Rise, Hove, Sussex BUT his occupation is given as 'Railway Shunter Retired' and wife is Emma E. Stewart.  His birthdate is not 10/10/1868 but 16/11/1868 (and hers is 1/5/1866).

I next looked at Scottish births for a James born 16/11/1868 and only James Watson with this birthdate is a James Watson Gray, born High Church, Glasgow, to a Thomas Stewart and Rebecca Gray - since he's listed under Gray one assumes his parents weren't married.   I haven't investigated any further yet but this definitely sounds like your man.   So, birthdate wrong and father appears to have been named Thomas - however, it is a common practice in Scotland for children to grow up with their fathers surname even if parents never married.

Thought I'd mention the results so far.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 April 16 01:08 BST (UK) »
1871 Census - 138 New City Road, Glasgow St. George

Rebecca Stewart  widow  37      Washerwoman          born Glasgow
Joan Stewart 15                                                ditto
James Stewart 2                                               ditto

1861 Census - 5 King Street, Glasgow St. Mary

Thomas Stewart   32    Master House Painter    born Lanarkshire
Rebecca Stewart  29                                             ditto
Joan Stewart 6                                                     ditto
Thomas Stewart 2 mos.                                         ditto

Thomas Stewart did marry Rebecca Gray 25/3/1852 Glasgow - however, I now know why James birth was listed under 'Gray' and not Stewart.   Thomas Stewart, 34, Pauper, House Painter, married to Rebecca Gray died 31/10/1866 at the City Poorhouse, Glasgow, of General Paralysis, 2 years. (His parents given as Donald Stewart, deceased, housepainter and Isabella nee Thomson).   So, as Thomas had died in 1866 he couldn't possibly have been the father of James Watson.   I've just looked at James' birth certificate and it does indeed say he was illegitimate and only parent shown is Rebecca Stewart, nee Gray, widow of Thomas Stewart.

So, one can't help wondering if 'Watson' was a clue to his actual father and although brought up as Stewart he actually had no Stewart blood at all.

Annette

London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 April 16 01:51 BST (UK) »
In 1881 Rebecca appears to be living alone, shown as housekeeper and all I can find for James is a James Gray 12 born Glasgow who is in Mossbank Industrial School, Glasgow.  She died in 1883.

Annette
London -  Monk

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 April 16 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All, well what can I say. That 1939 register was the key to unlocking this. Never thought birth date was anything other than stated. All your efforts have been great and if your able to take this back further I will not complain, again thank you all so much.

John

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 April 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, A little further help please. It does appear that trying to follow the maternal male side for James is speculative at bets. His mother Rebecca Gray was born c 1832-34. Can anyone tell me her parents names please. Also she died in 1883--what age was she.
According to Familysearch James had 3 half siblings, Joan 1855, Alexander 1859 and Thomas 1861. I suspect both Alexander and Thomas died young but Joan was still alive in 1881 census. Did she marry and who.

Thanks

John

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 April 16 19:29 BST (UK) »
 Using the free index on Scotlandspeople it would appear that she was born in 1833. If you invest £7.00 to buy 30 credits on Scotlandspeople you will be able to view her death cert. which will hopefully name her parents. Joan's 1855 birth cert. would also be worth a look as it should give year and place of birth of both Rebecca and Thomas ( 1855 is the only year this information was included on the birth certificates).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 April 16 18:22 BST (UK) »

Hi, looking again at your replies no. 9 has just stood out as below. Not having a sub to ancestry is the age correct. Why this is of interest is because James atson Gray was born n 1868 in the HIGH CHURCH area of Glasgow

415, Gallowgate Street, St John Glasgow, High Church, Lanarkshire, Scotland

James Watson   Lodger Male 2   1869    Carter??? Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Carter looks to be an error though (column for occ.)

Thanks

John

Nothing showing for who he's is lodging with though? You would need to see original but may br over 2 pages?

Archive reference RG10

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 April 16 19:10 BST (UK) »
Haven't we already ascertained that James Watson Gray is living with his mother Rebecca and sister Joan in 1871?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)