Author Topic: Preferences in organising computer files!....  (Read 5093 times)

Offline cavair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Preferences in organising computer files!....
« on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Im no novice with computers, and have researched for many years, but ive not always been consistent in how to organise my files in Windows Explorer!!......I have a separate store drive (backed up!) with a Genealogy folder, then different folders for family surnames/pictures & photos/census/places/maps/areas/counties etc etc.

My census images are in folders for each year, but also in surname folders - but try not to have any file in two places.  (file name generally starts with year, then surname in caps, then first name if individual on their own,  and recently followed by folio number, but not always)   Some images downloaded years ago just have the names and not the year, which i really need to add.
While everyone will have their own system and preferences, Im curious as to know how other people organise themselves!    Put all census images together by year or file them under surname and then by year? Of course i eventually key in details on my tree program, in my case Rootsmagic. 

I will be interested in hearing how other people organise their folders!!
Thanks

BANKS -North Yorks/Durham;  ORD - Durham;  WALKERLEY / HUGGINS / KING - Lincs;   CAVILL - Bristol;

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Preferences in organising computer files!....
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
 I have similar system as in separate folders for each name, then I separate them into the main families and sometimes again within that.  Census records I tend to file with that family as with all other documents, which eventually get attached to my tree. I have Family Heritage and Rootsmagic on my pc and all the info, docs etc backed up and stored in the "cloud".  I also tend to make hard copies of the important documents, census, bmd's etc. and file them accordingly.

Just have to find a way to get my tree in the cloud and I'll be happy.  It wouldn't be a problem to recreate a tree just time consuming....
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
Just have to find a way to get my tree in the cloud and I'll be happy.  It wouldn't be a problem to recreate a tree just time consuming....

Have you tried microsoft onedrive? https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/support/

I use it to save backups of my FH docs / photos (handy if I'm out and about and want to check a date / name etc). Can also use it to send photo links to family and friends, or reports created from your FH software etc. You could also (guess I should!) save a copy of your .gedcom file there too. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 16 15:06 BST (UK) »

I do have one drive on my email account, but the storage space has just been cut down.

I use Google Drive which I suppose is the same thing, storage space is bigger and it also has an option where it will notify someone (who you nominate) if I don't log on for a predetermined time to ask what should be done with the information stored.  I also use it to share my stored images with family etc and can also access it from any pc when logged into my gmail account.

So I should then just be able to upload it as a file.  Must try it and see..
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
Cavair, you put me to shame! I have one genealogical folder on an external hard drive with various documents and images all clumped together, although each item is carefully named. Scanned photos are sorted better, into family folders. Funnily enough, my hard copy stuff is sorted better, with separate folders for separate lines, documents and photos and images all sorted to type.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 April 16 11:54 BST (UK) »

Have you tried microsoft onedrive? https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/support/

I use it to save backups of my FH docs / photos (handy if I'm out and about and want to check a date / name etc). Can also use it to send photo links to family and friends, or reports created from your FH software etc. You could also (guess I should!) save a copy of your .gedcom file there too.

I've never used any of these cloud things and TBH don't really understand it.   ::)   My tree is set to private on Ancestry.  But I can see the merits of sharing with some people but not the whole world.

Is your business just "out there" hanging around on a cloud just waiting to be swooped on?

To Caviar, sadly you put me to shame too, like Pine my paper trail is much better organised into folders and files.

Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 April 16 12:42 BST (UK) »

Cloud storage is just another form of storage like a flash drive or external hardrive, cd disc, etc.  The advantage is that you can access it from any computer once you have logged in to your account.  It will also be safe if your pc crashes, discs get corrupted etc and the information on those devices is lost.  It is not accessible by anyone but you but you can share documents etc from there with others.

Took me a while to grasp the concept, now all my reseach etc is on there (I use Google Drive) and more organised than my hard copies...... ;D

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 April 16 12:46 BST (UK) »
Call me paranoid but I don't like the idea of using a cloud type storage. I would feel like Big Brother was snooping.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 April 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Call me paranoid but I don't like the idea of using a cloud type storage. I would feel like Big Brother was snooping.

That's how I feel too!!!I've investigated since this post and I do have it on this laptop but I am a bit reluctant though I do like the idea that if your PC crashes or your external HD is corrupted all your "stuff" is saved, I had to start again last July I think it was with a very, very old Gedcom file that had LOTS of information missing from it never mind missing people and it's been a bit of a nightmare, TBH I don't think I would have the patience to go through that again!!  I even bought a floppy disk reader to plug in to see if I could find a newer version as I still have all my old disks!!  I had to dust them off lol.  :D

When that GPS thing pops up and says can "it" know your location I always say NO!!  My laptop thinks I live in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland for some reason but I don't!  I live in Cumbria lol.  ;D
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.