Author Topic: Tracing property and family homes from the schedule numbers?  (Read 547 times)

Offline cavair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tracing property and family homes from the schedule numbers?
« on: Sunday 10 April 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
In looking at census images and trying to track where people lived when there was little in the way of address details, I found that pub names were a helpful way of locating other property from the schedule numbers.
After googling the pub name I came across a photo of the derelict pub - the Oatsheaf Inn at Timberland, Lincolnshire on this interesting website for closed / lost pubs...http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/

Along with the help of Old maps online  I was able to trace the location of it and more or less pinpointed the neighbouring property where my wifes ancestor was, albeit in a very rural area. 

This website now has 30,642 lost pubs listed, together with 16,218 photos - I have posted this on the Occupations board as well.

Im sure there will be lots of people who will be interested in lost pubs for various reasons!!
Richard
BANKS -North Yorks/Durham;  ORD - Durham;  WALKERLEY / HUGGINS / KING - Lincs;   CAVILL - Bristol;

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing property and family homes from the schedule numbers?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 16 15:17 BST (UK) »
That is a good technique Richard. As well as pubs you can of course use other landmarks, roads etc to narrow down an address.

Now that Old Maps requires a subscription to see the full maps, I prefer the NLS maps:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=6&lat=53.3995&lon=-3.0305&layers=39&b=1&point=0,0
Once you locate the address select side by side view from the top of the page and you can compare then and now. Use the cursor to pinpoint landmarks exactly - you can sometimes even make out how houses have been extended over the years. Scroll using the cursor. It's a great resource.