Author Topic: William Bingley Pontefract and Sandal Magna  (Read 2605 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Bingley Pontefract and Sandal Magna
« on: Sunday 10 April 16 15:56 BST (UK) »
William Bingley married Mary Cotterall in 1795 in Pontefract. Their son William Cotterall Bingley was born soon thereafter and moved to London (with parents, I presume) where he later became an Attorney at Queens Buildings, Brompton, Kensington. He married Mary Kimber in 1827 in London. Wm. C. Bingley inherited the Star Inn, Pontefract through the Cotterall family. In the 1841 London census there is a Wm. Bingley, age 81 (born c. 1760), born out of County, Independent, living in a nearby boarding house to Wm. Cotterall Bingley. I presume it's his father, the widower of Mary Cotterall.

In 1772 there was a William Bingley  apprenticed to Thomas Broadhead of Tottenham Court Rd., London, Coachmaker and Coach Harness Maker Company. He was recorded as the son of William Bingley, Gentleman of Sandal Magna, Yorkshire. I will assume that the young apprentice William Bingley was 12 years old and born circa 1760.

Three questions:

a. Could the Wm Bingley married in 1795 in Pontefract be the same Wm. Bingley apprenticed in 1772 London with a father from Sandal Magna, Yorkshire?  The two locations being fairly close in proximity.

b. Could an Attorney in 1820-1840's London be also referred to as a "Professor". (highly unlikely in my opinion).

c. Is there any more information I could find in Yorkshire to help me connect to the London Bingleys?

Thank you.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: William Bingley Pontefract and Sandal Magna
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

The marriage in 1795 was by licence, that could also have more details.

Also William Bingley on that record was from the Parish of St Clements Middlesex, so could well be the apprentice you mention

Witnesses: ? ?  Stocks and John Stocks

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi claire:

There was also another William Bingley born 1774 in Doncaster who was orphaned at a young age and later became the Rev. Wm. Bingley, noted author and botanist, living at St. George's Bloomsbury, London. No connection to the previously mentioned W. Bingley's but I added this to note the few (probably more) London Bingley families that originated in Yorkshire.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 16 16:49 BST (UK) »

Hi

Yes I spotted the Rev. William Bingleys Will on Anc*

There are a lot of Bingley Wills on there,  including William Cotterell Bingley 1844, and a William Cotterell Warwick Bingley ~ is that another relation ?

claire

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire:

Wm. Cotterall Warwick Bingley was Wm. Cotterall Bingley's son.

The 1795 Pontefract marriage noting Wm.'s residence as St. Clements, Middlesex is a positive clue! Thank you.

lanar

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
I see that the Wm. Bingley married in 1795 to Mary Cotterall was age 21 so he was born in 1774 and obviously was not the apprentice in London in 1772.

But I do believe that he was the Wm. Bingley (husband of Mary Cotterall) who appears in the Westminster Rate books living at New Inn St Clement Danes from (at least) 1803 to 1830.

There is a Wm. Bingley who died in Kensington in 1842 but I don't have access to his death information to see what age he was. I think he would have been Wm. Cotterall Bingley's father who was age 81 in the 1841 census and hopefully his death registration would reveal his age.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 April 16 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lanar

It wasn't until March 1866 that ages were put on the Death indexes. So we can't find him that way.

Have checked London burials ~ not there

London Newspapers ~ no obit

Will have a scout about.

claire

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 April 16 04:44 BST (UK) »
A William Bingley served as an apprentice to a John Hepworth, Attorney, in 1778 in Pontefract and another Wm. B. apprenticed in 1790 to a David Colvard, Attorney in Wakefield. The later apprentice could possibly be the Wm. B. who married Mary Cotterall in 1795 in Pontefract, age 21. (?)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that the ages given on the 1795 marriage license issued by the Archbishop of York for Wm. Bingley and Mary Cotterall in Pontefract (both recorded as "21" ) actually meant "of age" and he (perhaps Mary, too) was much older?

Reasoning:
a.  If William was 21 in 1795 that reveals a birth year of 1774 + or - .
b.  William Bingley age 81 in the 1841 census living near his son William Cotterall Bingley suggests a birth year of 1760. (If the same person, then he was 35 when he married in 1795).
c. William Bingley apprenticed to an Attorney named Hepworth in Pontefract in 1778. If the same William, he was 18 when he apprenticed which is highly probable in my opinion.

If the bride and groom were actually both 21 when married in 1795, then my theories described are "out the window".