Author Topic: Edward boyle / bridget toughar  (Read 1768 times)

Offline barry200

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward boyle / bridget toughar
« on: Tuesday 12 April 16 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hello.

Does anyone have any information about Edward Boyle, born around 1833 in Mayo, and Bridget Toughar, born around 1834 in Mayo? They married each other in 1861. Edward's father, Edward Boyle, was a labourer who had died sometime before 1861. Bridget's father, Martin Toughar, was a labourer.

Edward and Bridget were my great-great-great-grandparents.

Here is the information I have so far:

Prior to their wedding, they moved to England. They were married in Alnwick, Northumberland (St Mary's Catholic Chapel) on the 16th November 1861.

In the census earlier that year (1861), a Bridget Toughar (Anglicized: Tucker) was visiting Edward and Bridget Craig in Northumberland. That census says she was from Mayo, and that the Craigs were from Ireland. In that same census, an Edward Boyle was living with his brother, John Boyle who was married to Catherine. It said that Edward, John and Catherine were all born in Ireland.

In the 1871 census, Edward and Bridget Boyle were listed, as being born in Mayo. He was 37, she was 36. They had three children, Patrick (7), Catherine (5) (my great-great-grandmother), and Edward (2).

The following year, Bridget gave birth to triplets (Bridget, Hannah, and Mary). She died the next day and the triplets died three days later.

I can't find any record of them in the 1851 census, so I assume they moved from Mayo to Northumberland between 1851 and 1861. As Bridget was a visitor in the 1861 census prior to her marriage, she may have left Ireland that year (1861). And because Edward was living with his brother, he may have left Ireland that year too.

I've got most of their details after moving to England, but I would love to find out any information from when they were living in Mayo.

Thank you,

Barry.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward boyle / bridget toughar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 16:59 BST (UK) »
Toughar is an unusual name.
Irish Times Ancestors name search http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/ gives it as Togher in the Mayo area although Griffiths Valuation gives two results for a Denis Tougher in Mayo print date 1857, however it gives a lot more for Togher including a Martin in the townland of Bunawillin print date 1855.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

RC register for the parish which includes Bunawillin are not available on NLI but are on RootsIreland at a cost, assuming your couple were RC.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0748

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
There is a Martin Togher (transcribed as Logher) in 1834 Tithe Applotments - Shragh Nash. It is the same parish, Kilcommon - see here

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Just noticed I searched for Tougher not Toughar on Griffith's, there are no results for Toughar.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
Martin's wife is Sibby with a daughter Sibby
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/details.jsp?id=46821
I assume Sibby is short for something but what?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
I always imagine it to be a shortened form of Sabina/Sebina.

I just looked at baptisms and Sibby is found in Mayo and adjoining counties.

We have family from the Belmullet area and the name Togher/Tougher is found there - which is why I looked at the query.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:19 BST (UK) »
Sibby could be a nickname for Sybil.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
Sibby could be a nickname for Sybil.

Yes Aghadowey, I realised that I had not added that - Sibéal- Isabel. I think I was wondering if that is more used in modern times?
As I said Sibby seems to stand alone as a name too in Mayo area. I suppose founded in one of those names - perhaps Sybil.
It's interesting how certain names crop up in certain areas, we have a few Anastasias in the family and they are from Wexford where it was quite popular compared with the rest of the country.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile