Author Topic: Citing from 1911 England Census  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Lanticbay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Citing from 1911 England Census
« on: Tuesday 12 April 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
Not very familiar with England/Wales Census. Would welcome some advice on how to record the details from an 1911 census. I have an image from 1911 census which I want to cite as a source. I have the full registration details ie RG14 piece, folio and page number. However in previous census I also recorded details of civil parish, ecclesiastical parish, ward etc which appeared as a header on the census page. These details do not appear on the image I have for 1911. Were these details not recorded in 1911 or have I missed them? I would like to record the location beyond the postal address which does appear.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Citing from 1911 England Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:10 BST (UK) »
For every census 1851 through to 1901, all you really need to cite is the TNA reference: Class, Piece, Folio and Page.
For 1841 it is Class, Piece, Folio, Book and Page.

For 1911, all that is needed is Class and Piece No.
The enumeration district, and other details, can be found on the first page of each enumeration district.
See: http://www.sog.org.uk/learn/help-getting-started-with-genealogy/guide-four
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Lanticbay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad for your helpful link.

It contains a section for 1911 census where it states:
At the front of each enumeration district is a page describing the area included and there are spaces on each form for details of the district, village, parish (civil and ecclesiastical) etc to be included. The ecclesiastical parish name may be a guide when looking for baptisms in the family.

This is the information that I cannot find on the image I have. Appreciate that they are not needed for citation purposes but would like to include them in my record.

Are these details then at the front of the enumeration district? On each form is a bit vague.  Suggests to me they are on the household form but I cannot see them on my image.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 14:23 BST (UK) »
But the 1911 census is different in that what you see are the individual household forms, rather than the enumerators schedule?

On Ancestry, the page before each household form will contain some further information.
(Not sure how you get to that on FindMyPast)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Lanticbay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 14:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I can see them now on page 1 of the enumeration district.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 23:53 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 England and Wales census the citation should include the piece and schedule number. In the case of a large vessel or institution where there is no schedule number a page number is helpful.