Author Topic: Records in the book INQVISITIONVM AD CAPELLAM DOMINI REGIS RETORNATARUM QVAE....  (Read 2477 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IN PVBLICIS ARCHIVIST SCOTIAE, published 1831

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=PiVDAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA1890&lpg=PA1890&dq=elizabeth+maxwell+thomas+gledstanes&source=bl&ots=qkuaDYhe_c&sig=LOpic-glC3wsuKlGkvBbFbaYTUU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSpvLJ4I_MAhVLHJQKHaiqBNAQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

There are some records of interest to me in the book that I haven't found in the NAS index nor in the wills on ScotlandsPeople (but perhaps I haven't thought of all the ways surnames and place names could be spelt).

Would they be anywhere else, and if so, where please?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Where other copies are held http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hgv/ .
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sorry - I may not have explained myself very well.

I'm not after a copy of the book (I can get it as a free e-book).   I'm interested where the original records that are in the book can be found.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
I haven't come across this book, but the listings I have looked at are very similar in content and layout to the later Abridgments of Sasines. There are, as far as I am aware, no indexes to any of the Registers of Sasines available online, which would perhaps explain why you can't find these items in the NAS online catalogue.

Fo example No (1) Apr 16 1547. Thomas Hamiltoun, heir of Thomas Hamilton of Preistfield who died at Pinkincleuch, his father - in the lands of Priestingill in the barony of Avondale - A. E. 10s. N.E. 20l - (See Perth, Linlithgow). i. 145.

It would not surprise me if i. 145 is a pointer to page 145 of Volume 1 of the series dealing with the County of Lanark. No idea what A.E. and N.E mean but 10s and 20l could be the extents of the parcels of land inherited by Thomas Jr.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lizci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
AE and NE stand for Auld Extent and New Extent and relate to the valuations of land in Scotland.  The New Extent was introduced in 1474!  Dictionary of the Scots Language has a basic explanation http://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/extent

Lizci
Gilchrist, Twaddle, Jamieson - LANARKSHIRE; Moffat, Irving - DUMFRIESSHIRE; Ninian - FIFE/EDINBURGH/DUNDEE; Campbell - ARGYLL; Johnston - BERWICKSHIRE/ROXBURGHSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE; Swanston - BERWICKSHIRE; Pirie - ABERDEENSHIRE; Cameron - FORFARSHIRE/ABERDEENSHIRE; Alexander - FORFARSHIRE; Taylor - LANCASHIRE; Dee, Rudd, Vasseur - LONDON; Johnson, Wooding, Linger - BEDFORDSHIRE; Simmons, Lane - DEVON.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks, Lizci. That sheds light on quite a lot of things.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thank you for your help and explanations.

Would I be correct in thinking that these are entire transcripts, so each transcript has all the details?

Imagine all the updates to records that would have taken place after Flodden and Pinkie!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records in the book INQVISITIONVM AD CAPELLAM DOMINI REGIS RETORNATARUM QVAE....
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 April 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
Would I be correct in thinking that these are entire transcripts, so each transcript has all the details?

This book refers to a time before the earliest Register of Sasines (1617 IIRC), and seems to have been compiled for a different reason, so may not have been compiled using the same guidelines. It may be that it is derived from the services of heirs. I just don't know, is the short answer.

The abridgments of later sasines normally contain all the names and relationships of the people involved, and a very brief description of the land that changed hands. However I found one dated 1700 that didn't (and the omitted person was my hitherto unknown 6th-great-grandmother) so it is always possible that a few others might omit names.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records in the book INQVISITIONVM AD CAPELLAM DOMINI REGIS RETORNATARUM QVAE....
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 April 16 16:41 BST (UK) »
These are printed abridgements. The full texts are in the Chancery records in the National Records of Scotland.

Not everyone is recorded. You mention Pinkie. An uncle of mine killed there does appear, but his brother, my own grandfather, does not. I know that he was killed at Pinkie because one of his sons got a charter of clare constat which says so.