Author Topic: Searching for John Henry Eltringham and Mary Ann Bunting  (Read 3466 times)

Offline careylynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for John Henry Eltringham and Mary Ann Bunting
« on: Saturday 16 April 16 01:34 BST (UK) »
I wondered if anyone can help me find more information about my great great grandparents John Henry Eltringham (1852) and Mary Ann Bunting (1861).

The only definite records I can find for John Henry Eltringham is the marriage certificate to Mary in March 1881 - John is 28 years old, widower, a coal miner, lived Framwellgate and father is listed as John Eltringham - Boilersmith - deceased. Mary is 20 years old, father Thomas Bunting.

I have their daughters birth certificate Dorothy Ann Eltringham, born July 1881, Father is John Henry Eltringham. Birth is North Beechburn, however informant is Mary Eltringham, September at Bridge Street Crook.

Dorothy's baptism is December 1881, of Castle Eden, at Monk Hesleden, parents both Mary Ann and John Eltringham.

My problem lies here: I cannot find ANY record of John before or after the year 1881. The only information I really have about John is his probably birth year of 1852, his father was a boilersmith and deceased by 1881, John lived at Framwellgate. (I have ordered a birth certificate for a record of a John Henry Eltringham born 1852, Chester-le-street - though I have no certainty that this is the John I am looking for, I will hopefully find the fathers name and occupation on this certificate).

I cannot find any fitting Census of the family in 1881, which was taken two weeks after their marriage - yet I have spent hours upon hours eliminating any Eltringham family recorded in the whole of England that year. Not one of what I have found fit this family. I have tried various spelling variations of the name.

Strangely though, I can find no death, convict or immigration records for John - yet his wife Mary was remarried the following year, 1882 to Septimus Nelson. They are found in the 1891 Census with Marys daughter Dorothy. They have a child Mary in 1898 who lives with Mary Anns parents by 1901. Septimus has died in 1899 in the lunatic asylum. There is no trace of Mary Ann since her daughters birth. I believe young Mary was living in the workhouse by 1911 - though I am not 100% sure this record is definitely her.

I have all Census and marriage records for Mary Ann's family, Thomas Bunting and Dorothy Sims, they have been easy to trace.

Mary Ann lived with her family around Crook which was where Dorothy was born. Her parents moved to Castle Eden Colliery, it looks like Mary Ann followed there sometime in 1881 as thats where dorothy is baptised. I dont know if this is before or after John disappears. She married Septimus in Hartlepool.

If anyone has any information on this family, no matter how small it may be I would really appreciate your help, every little bit I have found is a piece of the puzzle I'm putting together!

Thank you to anyone that can help :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for John Henry Eltringham and Mary Ann Bunting
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 16 08:24 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has a baptism/christening:

30th August 1852 at Chester-le-Street, Durham
John Henry Eltringham, son of Jane Eltringham

So, no father named?

There is a marriage for Jane Ann Eltringham in 1860, Gateshead Registration District.
Possible grooms George Hand/Ward Holme or William Mallaburn.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
Not sure that Jane who married 1860 would have a Child 1852

1861 Census
George Ward Holme. 35, Head
Jane A Holme, 20, Wife, born Newcastle
Elizabeth M Eltringham, 17, Visitor
Anne Richmond, 18, Servant

From 1851 Census her Parents were JOSEPH born c  1810 Tanfield, Durham and JANE born c 1807 Gateshead.
Married 27 Mar 1836. Sll Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland
Joseph ELTRINGHAM and Jane TOWARD
(FreeREG)

1861 Jane Ann has left Home but there are no Grandchildren with the Eltringhams;
Joseph Ellingham, 51
Jane Ellingham, 50
Joseph Ellingham, 15
Emely Toward, 23, Neice
Mary Charlton, 18
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:26 BST (UK) »
Ah well?! I was just offering a possibility! ;D

If, as seems most likely, John Henry was illegitimate, and we can't find him in 1861, then perhaps his mum remarried and he is listed under her new married name?

Or there has been an awful transcription of Eltringham!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
I looked for posssible 1st Marriage for John H in Durham 1871-1881
Possible Spouses;
Brooks    Margaret Catherine
Shillan    Ann
Newton    Dorothy
Baker    Margaret
Smith    Ellen
Patterson    Alice
Dodd           Jane
BURNS    Mary

I couldnt find a corresponding Death Reg for any of these names, not in Durham anyhow

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
I definitely think you are on the right track with that Baptism though.

But cant seem to track Jane down conclusively.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you rejected the John Henry Eltringham b Sacriston 1850 in 1851 census as being too early? (Transcribed as John Harry on one site and John Henry on another). Showing in 1851 census with parents John (a blacksmith) and Mary and living in Witton Gilbert. Seems to have been transcribed as Etteringham in 1861 census and in Auckland St Andrew.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline careylynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 April 16 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies!

I do think the baptism for this John in 1852 is significant. The age fits perfectly, and I have found no John Eltringham of this agein any census, which makes sense as I have eliminated nearly all of them, and the rest I am doubtful of. Perhaps you are right and he was either illegitimate or mother Jane remarried and JOhn was recorded under another name.

However I have spent hours researching all John and Janes under other names and have yet to find a very good lead.

Ive ordered the birth certificate that matches this baptism..hopefully more detail will be on there.

In regards to marriage, I also checked each of those marriages you mentioned, Trish. And they are all found either living together beyond the marriage of mary ann and John..or there is no death record for anyone.

I did find the Jane to George Holmes marriage, but they go on together in census with no sign of a John, so I didnt get anywhere with that.

I haven't rejected those Johns William, but could not find a real lead in them either...the second one you mention in 1861 father is a coal miner and the first a black smith. Do you think a boiler smith could be also a coal miner or blacksmith? I will keep this family in mind as I continue my research though.

I appreciate everyone's reply, it is great to get other peoples thoughts, I will continue to plod along with this research, as frustrating as it is!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 April 16 11:17 BST (UK) »
Actually a Blacksmith could also be a Boilersmith :)