Author Topic: Angelina Ross and James A. Logan  (Read 1893 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Angelina Ross and James A. Logan
« on: Saturday 16 April 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
I am trying to figure out the story of Angelina Ross.  She was mentioned in an earlier post but I was unable to get anywhere with her.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=632499.msg4802475#msg4802475

Angelina Ross was born in Cuba in March 1871.  Her parents' names are unknown but her father was allegedly born in New Jersey and her mother in Cuba.  She married James A. Logan in about 1902ish.  The marriage possibly took place in Cuba inasmuch as their first child [Mary Angela Logan] was born in Cuba in 1903.  I haven't found any convincing immigration records for James, Angelina or Mary Angela but they had relocated to California by 1905.  The subsequent Logan children were born in California - Thomas Ross Logan [about 1905] and Clara Elizabeth Logan [1907].  They all lived and died in California and can be found there on censuses from 1910 to 1940.  Angelina died in 1932 and James died in 1943, both in Riverside County.

I have found Angelina on the 1900 census; she was still unmarried at that time.  She was living in Jersey City, New Jersey but unfortunately she was not living with any other family members.  Her immigration year was recorded as 1883 but I can't make out whether she was naturalized then or not.  On later censuses she is recorded as a naturalized citizen.

Angelina's husband, James A. Logan, was born in Waupaca County, Wisconsin in 1872.  His family relocated to San Benito County, California in about 1886.  He married Bessie Elvira McCloud in 1893 in San Benito County. They had two daughters - Mary Ann [1894] and Pearly Dorothy [1896].  This marriage broke up in about 1900 and Bessie later remarried.  I haven't found James, Bessie or the children on the 1900 census.  When and why James Logan went to Cuba is a mystery.

1.  Who were Angelina Ross's parents?
2.  Is there any record of her travels back and forth between Cuba and the United States?
3.  When and where was she naturalized?
4.  Where was James A. Logan in 1900 and where were his first wife Bessie and the children?
5.  When did James Logan divorce Bessie?
6.  When and why did James Logan go to Cuba?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Angelina Ross and James A. Logan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 16 05:46 BST (UK) »
This appears to be Bessie and kids in 1900:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M95M-6DG

Steve

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 16 16:15 BST (UK) »

5.  When did James Logan divorce Bessie?

It appears Bessie divorced James in Oct 1899.

Hollister is a city in and the county seat of San Benito County, California.

The San Francisco Call
Tuesday, October 17, 1899 - Page 8

"Ella Logan was granted a divorce by Judge Greene today from James A. Logan on the ground of willful desertion. The wife is awarded custody of the minor children and $20 monthly, alimony. The parties were married at Hollister September 20, 1893."

http://tinyurl.com/zrm6ml9

======================================================

Oakland Tribune
September 20, 1899 - Page 8

Divorce suit filed 

======
Oakland Tribune
October 17, 1899 - Page 4 

-DIVORCE COURT-
"Mrs Elisabeth Logan has been granted a divorce from James A Logan on the ground of desertion, She was awarded the custody of the minor children and $20 a month alimony."

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 16 17:02 BST (UK) »

3.  When and where was she naturalized?

If one or both  parents were born in the US and are American citizens then the child born outside the US to those parents  would be an American citizen. Since Angelina's father was supposedly born in New Jersey and assumed American citizen, then Angelina would automatically be a US citizen  and not needed to be naturalized.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks, sbny357 and RJ137.  So Bessie promptly remarried and then remarried again before 1910.  I hadn't figured out that there was a brief marriage interposed between James Logan and John Saul.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 16 17:21 BST (UK) »

If one or both  parents were born in the US and are American citizens then the child born outside the US to those parents  would be an American citizen. Since Angelina's father was supposedly born in New Jersey and assumed American citizen, then Angelina would automatically be a US citizen  and not needed to be naturalized.

The 1920 and 1930 censuses report Angelina as 'naturalized.'

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 April 16 15:46 BST (UK) »
I cannot speak to what was listed on the 1920/1930 censuses, but what I stated is what the law says. Perhaps because she was born in Cuba the question came up about her citizenship in which she provided a date when she came to the US and answered she was naturalized. For the reason I stated above she would have been automatically naturalized and a US citizen.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 April 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Maybe.  But the parents have to register the birth of the child as an American citizen at the American embassy.  I know this because my father was born in a foreign country to American parents and that embassy document was his proof of American citizenship.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 21:07 BST (UK) »
Arrived 13 March 1916 New Orleans.  Sailed from Havana, Cuba.  Ship Excelsior.

Angelina Logan, age 45, born in Camazuey?, Cuba.  "If naturalized, given name and location of court which issued naturalization papers, and date of papers": Husband Am Citizen born in New(?) London, Wis
Mary A, age 11 and 6 months, born Camazuey?, Cuba
Thoma(s?) R, age 10, born Cal
Clara E., age 8, born Cal

Added:  It looks like a "W" in the married or single column.   :-\  ["W (es)" is what I think is written but perhaps the (es) - if that is what is actually written -  is intended to be in front of her birthplace?]   ???

Update:  There is a city and province named Camaguey, Cuba.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)