Author Topic: William Clark(e) of Carlaverock, Nithsdale  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Sharonarchibald80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Clark(e) of Carlaverock, Nithsdale
« on: Tuesday 19 April 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out information regarding my 4x Great Grandfather & Grandmother.  They left Scotland aboard the Lovely Nelly in 1775.
They are listed as William Clark - Gardener - 30 years old, Carlaverock and Grizzle Kesaig (maybe Kissock?) - his wife - 30 years old, Carlaverock.
The Lovely Nelly brought them to Georgetown, PEI, Canada. They spent one winter there and moved to Pictou, Nova Scotia where there was a growing settlement of Scottish settlers.
I would like to find out more about Carlaverock if possible, and any potential ancestors who were left behind in Scotland.
thanks,
Sharon

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Clark(e) of Carlaverock, Nithsdale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon
I cannot claim to know the answers to your query but I was raised near Caerlaverock and attended school, church etc in Caerlaverock parish. Having carried out  some research on Clarks about 15 years ago, I know that Samuel Clerk was the progenitor of a large family of Clarks, including some who were friends of Robert Burns.
Samuel Clerk [1685-1786] came from Fife [ I think] to be schoolmaster at Caerlaverock. the school, Hutton Hall, was at that time a very prestigious establishment.

Ian McClumpha

Offline kookaburra8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Clark(e) of Carlaverock, Nithsdale
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharon,  my  ancestor was Thomas Clark (1732-1806) who was (going by my records) a brother of your William (I have 1730-1807). They were the fourth and fifth sons of Samuel Clark (1683-1768) who was schoolmaster at Hutton Hall (as Ian McClumpha has said) and Jean Adamson (1688-1781). I'll be interested to correspond further with you re the Clark family.