Author Topic: 16 New Street Kilbarchan  (Read 4173 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
16 New Street Kilbarchan
« on: Sunday 24 April 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just wondering if someone with some local knowledge and help me with the above address.  I have found my fore-family living there between at least 1881-1901.  George Anderson was there when his first wife Mary died.  In 1881 he is there with daughter Mary and son George from his first marriage.  Wee George died aged 8 in 1880 at the address.  In 1881 it appears George has a new wife called Julia.  They have at least 2 more children, Julia McCallum Anderson (B1881) and George (B 1884).  I haven’t looked to trace the family too much but do know Mary (daughter) died in 1940 and Julia (her stepsister now Julia Galbraith) was the informant of her death.  My question is more around the address.  I did a google search and found the following on Zoopla:

The Weaving House, Originally Built Circa 1700, Is A Fantastic Development Opportunity Set Within The Conservation Village Of Kilbarchan. Grade C Listed. 

I then did a search on CanMore and found a photo of a very old building.  I am wondering if I have lined everything up and have a photo of 16 New Street and am looking for someone to confirm this or tell me no!
Your thoughts and time are greatly appreciated.
Oh yes, forgot to mention George was a weaver, young Julia a draper and young George (2nd) as bank clerk. 
Thanks
Pauline
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 16 New Street Kilbarchan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 16 16:30 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

I'm trying to understand your post, you have an ancestor who was a Weaver residing at 16 New Street and you found a house for sale on New St called the Weaving House and you think is your Ancestor's house or am I missing something?

The house for sale is in the middle of New St. and, although I'm sure the numbers have change since 1900 being in the middle of the street it would still be more than #16. The other problem is there was no odd/even numbering so if it was on the south side of New there are many of those buildings long gone so the numbers today are half of what they would have been when your ancestor lived there. Example #14, today is on the south side almost accross from the house you found which is #39.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 16 19:49 BST (UK) »
Yes Don, I was going to say the same that there are very few "older" houses now on New Street and I would think that the numbering will definitely have changed :(.

The Old Library Centre in Kilbarchan may have some more information about original numbering.

As an aside, Mary Armour also lived in New Street and there is now a cairn there in her memory.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 16 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for your replies. 
I have google earthed New Street and see there are only a couple of older buildings including the tavern.  I shall try the Old Library Centre as suggested. The Canmore photo is obviously of a very very old house/weavers shed and is not likely to be in existence any more.  I am also coming to understand different countries have different numbering systems to what we have here!!
Thanks again :)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 16 02:29 BST (UK) »
I looked at the photo, it is on the south side of New St., the key identifier is the reference to Steeple Square in the background which is south of New St.

If George died in 1896 then you will find his Will and Estate Inventory at Scot's People. He was Feuar and a Weaver.  The Valuations also at Scot's People for 1895 will might help you identify the location where he lived as well.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
thanks again DonM.  I didn't mean to get too involved with this branch of the family but it has thrown up some interesting facts which affect other more immediate family members!  Anyway more digging has Georges confirmed death as 6 December 1925 so I haven't found a Will/Testament for him as it seems to be outside the date on SP.  The valuation roll was informative but as always more questions than answers.  The property at 16 New street had four rooms with one or more windows, while most others had only one or two.  Would I be correct to think the more windows a person had the more financial one would be?    I have yet to understand the building types for Kilbarchan and I wonder what type of housing was most prominent - some form of tenements but unlike the city ones I would assume??

Regards and thanks for your help.

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 16 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi blacksmithy

Glasgow Herald - 7th Dec 1925

Anderson

At Scot(illegible), Milliken Park, Kilbarchan on 6th inst., George Anderson, retired dairyman, in his 82nd year; deeply regretted - Funeral private.

If this is your George, I would say he probably had wealth, as he had a named house, and sounds as if it stood alone.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 16 21:40 BST (UK) »
Great find Lismore - thank you very much, yes this is my man  :)
Thanks also for the Glasgow Herald resource but just wondering how you found his name as I couldn't pull his name up on a search.
Many thanks again.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 16 23:07 BST (UK) »
The Canmore photo is obviously of a very very old house/weavers shed and is not likely to be in existence any more.  I am also coming to understand different countries have different numbering systems to what we have here!!
Thanks again :)

The Canmore Photograph is of The Weavers Cottage which still exists and is just off of Church Street in Kilbarchan - it is a National trust property.
http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/Weavers-Cottage/