Author Topic: Ireland to Scotland Samuel Scullion Family Tree  (Read 4844 times)

Offline jenniferscullion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ireland to Scotland Samuel Scullion Family Tree
« on: Sunday 24 April 16 20:42 BST (UK) »
I am looking for more information on my dad's side of te family and so far I've went back 3 generations (not much considering i'm 21)

So my grandfather is called Samuel Scullion: a coal miner born in Glasgow in 1921, married Annie Melia (1931- 1990) in 1950 and died in 1989. My dad didn't really know anything about is dad's side of family besides an uncle called Antony (who i still haven't found) so all research is my own.

Samuel's father was also a Samuel Scullion born in 1896 in Ireland and married Kathleen Deane in Glasgow in 1918. This man was in the 6th Battalion of the Leinster Regiment based in the Birr Barracks in Ireland and deserted the army on 28/06/1918 to I'm assuming, run away to Scotland to marry Kathleen. he died in 1959.

Now to the part where I need help. Samuel Scullion was a son of (you guessed it) another Samuel Scullion who lived in Ireland and married an Ellen Gillespie in 1889. This Samuel was a coal miner as found out in Samuel and Kathleen's marriage certificate (i'll attach below). Any information on this Samuel Scullion would be much appreciated. I tried searching for the family in the 1901 Irish census but all I could find was an Ellen Scullion with 5/6 children, one of which was named Samuel who was the same the as my young Samuel who would've been around 5 at this time. Older Sam was nowhere to be seen this time. Did he up and leave his wife and family behind? Was he working elsewhere to provide for his family? If anyone could help I will never be able to thank you enough! Researching alone is hard work!!

Copyright image removed by moderator

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland to Scotland Samuel Scullion Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 16 11:21 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Samuel Scullion and Ellen Gillespie registered in Coleraine 3.3.1893. Daughter Mary b 5.9.1893.

You can view the original certificates on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

Elwyn

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
There were Scullions in Kilsyth who worked in the pits & of Irish origin.

Skoosh.

Offline jenniferscullion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 16 13:07 BST (UK) »
hi Elwin, thank you for your help.

Unfortunately I do not earn the means to spend a lot of money on my research just now so this option wont work for me  :(

however, on the irish genealogy website, the information is free. I have looked on here and the reistered date for the Scullion-Gillespie marriage is 1889. Is it normal for the records to be a little out of sync at this time?

hi Skoosh,
there are many Scullions around this area which makes it a lot more difficult for my research  ???
I'm a lot more interested in the generation of Scullion that were in Ireland as I cannot find any information on them in the census.
Thank you for your help though!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 16 16:22 BST (UK) »
hi Elwin, thank you for your help.

Unfortunately I do not earn the means to spend a lot of money on my research just now so this option wont work for me  :(

however, on the irish genealogy website, the information is free. I have looked on here and the reistered date for the Scullion-Gillespie marriage is 1889. Is it normal for the records to be a little out of sync at this time?

I would expect the records on the GRONI website to be the more accurate since they are the originals and are posted there by a Government Department. I cannot account for the different date on the irish genealogy site.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 16 17:43 BST (UK) »
The Irish Genealogy site lists the marriage of Samuel Scullion & Ellen Gillespie as 3 March 1893 as does GRONI-
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/460a5f7070562

It only costs a few pounts for credits to view certificates on GRONI's website which is really not expensive  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
GRONI also has the birth of Samuel SCULLIN born 15 Oct.1895 Coleraine district (mother- Gillespie). Other than Mary in 1893 I can't see any other births for those parents in Ireland (checked up to 1902).

I think the family in Ahoghill is not yours-
Birth: Maggie Scullion 24 Jan.1895 Ballymena district (mother- Carlton)
Birth: Samuel Scullion 31 Jan.1897 Ballymena district (mother- Carlton)

Samuel's son Anthony Scullion (1920-1985) and other family members are listed on an online tree.

Offline jenniferscullion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
That was very helpful thank you!!!

Where did you find this information and could you send me some links please? it would be much appreciated!!  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
You can search N.I. vital records online- Elwyn Soutter has already posted the link.