Author Topic: ww1 dfc  (Read 1627 times)

Offline brylio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ww1 dfc
« on: Monday 25 April 16 07:28 BST (UK) »
Can anybody advise/direct me to where I can find a list of British WW1 servicemen who received the DFC. I am looking for Alfred Stephen(belived to be Wing Commander) who I have been advised of from a distance cousin received the DFC for WW1. If this is the case, how do I get his service record.
fraser- alexander fraser and margaret mcbain,scotland
caldwell-john caldwell and mary bird,scotland
templeman-caius templeman and elizabeth hughes,wales

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ww1 dfc
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 16 08:23 BST (UK) »
Try searching the London Gazette online by name - the search engine is semi-reliable!

If he was still serving in 1922, then his record will be with the Ministry of Defence still. Plenty of advice on here about how to apply for his details. But this link may help as well: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/raf-officers-service-records-1918-1919/

He should also show up on the Air Force List - not sure how many of these are online yet.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
if he won the dfc in ww1 it would mean he was in the royal flying corps under army rule until 1920 .
regards
trevor
ps are you certain his surname was Stephen not stephens or stevens only I,ve looked for him without any luck as well as the London gazette personally I find it a nightmare to negotiate  :-[ .
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 16 18:08 BST (UK) »
if he won the dfc in ww1 it would mean he was in the royal flying corps under army rule until 1920 .
regards
trevor

The RFC became the RAF on 1st April 1918. He might well have an army service record as well, as many officers started off in other regiments and corps and later transferred to the RFC. There exists a complete nominal roll of the new service on that date - it can sometimes be revealing. DFC was instituted 3rd June 1918 and over 1000 were awarded in the last months of WW1.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
I can't find any Alfred Stephen in the RAF muster. There are two Alfred Stephens:

Alfred Cyril William Joseph Stephens
Alfred Leslie Stephens

Neither who fit the bill.

Offline brylio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 11:15 BST (UK) »
Spikey,
Can you advise the Alfred Leslie Stephens you mention is from Scotland, as the Alfred I am chasing had a middle name of Leslie born Aberdeenshire.
fraser- alexander fraser and margaret mcbain,scotland
caldwell-john caldwell and mary bird,scotland
templeman-caius templeman and elizabeth hughes,wales

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 23:21 BST (UK) »
Find my past has him born 1903 Aberdeenshire attested RAF 1922 as an attendant.
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.