Author Topic: Thomas Cowlishaw Adams 1884 Derby-1918 Aden  (Read 6495 times)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cowlishaw Adams 1884 Derby-1918 Aden
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Malcolm..thank you for your contribution.............Thomas Cowishaw Adams of the Hampshire Regiment..Private...  Military number 45257..was killed. fighting the Turks 18.11.1918..and was buried in the Maala Commonwealth War Cemetery........I know that his widow was eventually paid the princely sum of £23.6s. 3d...................
Thank you again

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
1871..Henry Adams  Widower..son of John and Ann... two children aged 6 one of them at least born in Yorkshire..has a sister SARAH ADAMS born c1849 as his Housekeeper

Sorry - it gives the impression that Henry had 2 children which is incorrect.  A 6yr old daughter Maria b Stenson Derbyshire and a 6yr old niece Ruth b Penstone Yorkshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Malcolm..thank you for your contribution.............Thomas Cowishaw Adams of the Hampshire Regiment..Private...  Military number 45257..was killed. fighting the Turks 18.11.1918..and was buried in the Maala Commonwealth War Cemetery........I know that his widow was eventually paid the princely sum of £23.6s. 3d...................
Thank you again

Derek

I hope you don't mind Derek but I have placed an enquiry on the RAF Steamer Point Aden facebook page asking if anyone can tell us about the Maala War cemetery and if headstones still remain.   There are some members of this group who live in Aden or have a more recent knowledge than myself.    I have several books on Aden, but they don't appear to cover the 1918 engagement with Turkish forces.   "Sultans of Aden" by Gordon Waterfield does mention the capture of Aden in 1538 by Suleiman the Magnificent's Turkish army and then there is this piece in "Last Sunset" by Stephen Harper:
  During the second year of World War One Turkish forces crossed the border from Yemen and occupied Dhala, seat of a border sultan.  They advanced along the busy trade route to Aden until their march was halted at the Colony's first defence lines beyond Sheikh Othman, close to what was the racecourse before it became Khormaksar Airport.
   Aden businessmen enlisted in a Colonial Militia to help contingents of the Indian Army man the trenches opposite the unspirited Turkish siege lines.   The enemy camp at the gates ended weekend picnics in the desert but caused little serious inconvenience."
    It would have been this move by the Turks which led to the arrival of the Royal Hants.
    Maala has grown from the smaller row of shops I remember passing when going to Sheikh Othman, Crater, or Little Aden.    Paddy in the next pit to mine was a regular visit to Maala Mary which eventually landed him up in "Rose Cottage" for some very unpleasant treatment.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 20:44 BST (UK) »

Silent Valley Cemetery Aden - see youtube video of the headstones and the Barren Rocks of Aden. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nM0eTaGdps  Many are new from the 1960's and I think there is every chance that there is one for Thomas as a soldier killed in action.   Some in the clip have short remembrances added by the family.

I have had one reply in the RAF Steamer Point page from Eric Mears:
"
Eric Mears
27 April 18:14
I don't remember it being called the 'Commonwealth War Cemetery' but during our 2007 visit we visited the 'Ma'alla Christian Cemetery' - a plot of land just off the roundabout at the Tawahi end of the Ma'alla Straight. It contained many headstones comemmorating service personnel but also ones for civilians or passing sailors.

We were actually tring to find the grave of John Ryan (a Khormaksar teacher who died in service in 1963) but his grave had only ever been marked with a wooden cross which was probably one of the many stumps resulting from termite attacks.

Apart from the (natural) damage to wooden memorials, the cemetery was in very good condition - far better than your average UK churchyard ! - as indeed was the later cemetery at Silent Valley."

There is much more about the Cemetery and searching for graves on this page which also has some fine photos - http://beesoft.soho.on.net/MySite/images/Parents/elwgrave.htm

Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 April 16 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek,

Wonder if this is why Cowlishaw was used:-

1871 Census Sarah born 1849 sister of the Widowed Henry is living with him + 2 others.

Then on the 5th August 1871 St. Alkmund Derby she marries:-

Sarah Adams, dau of John Adams  to Thomas Cowlishaw, son of George Cowlishaw.

The Cowlishaws are living in Stenson, Derbys in 1881 Census.

In the 1871 Census John Adams born abt 1800 has a Samuel Adams living with him, born 1855
stated as son.  In fact this Samuel was the illegitimate son of Maria born 1834, dau of John,
Samuel was bpt 6.7.1855 Swarkestone Mother - Maria, no Father listed.

Have you seen the actual records for marriage of Henry Adams =Sarah Haynes 4.11.1873, ask
because FamilySearch has Henry's Father listed as George Roberts.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 April 16 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Spendlove..thanks very much..I was looking out hopefully for your intervention!!
It is a very well thought out expanation, which i have flirted with myself..but not as clearly put as your offering......
Trouble is that I am not sure that the Sarah Adams, sister of Henry Adams..is the one who married Thomas Cowlishaw......but am I really very thick in being unable to explain why only two of the five children carry the name Cowlishaw as middle names.
I think I'm going to have to get the marriage Certificate      for Thomas Cowlishaw Adams and Elizabeth Ann Ford..which will give the mother's maiden name..and the father's occupation.
I think the Birth Certificate will only give the "Henry and Sarah Adams..and no dates other than the Birth and the Registration
Thanks again..would welcome any of your expertise you are wlling to share..

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 April 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek,

You say:-
"Trouble is that I am not sure that the Sarah Adams, sister of Henry Adams..is the one who married Thomas Cowlishaw....."

I was also doubtful, because Thomas Cowlishaw varies his date of birth, however in the 1901 Census
 Blithbury, Staffs  2658 F30 Pg 16 they have living with them:-

Thomas Adams aged 18, born Stenson  - Nephew.
This just has to be Thomas Cowlishaw Adams. Right age, place of birth just the Cowlishaw missing.

Re Ruth Adams born 1865 Penistone, Yks there is also a John Adams born 1869 Penistone, in the
1881 Census Burnaston Piece:   2755 Folio 4 Page Number 1. He is living with Joseph Bamford
& Ann ( nee Adams) as nephew.  Ann born 1831 dau of John & Elizabeth/ann Adams.

These are the Children of John Adams born 1829 son of John Adams and Elizabeth/Ann.  In the 1861 Census John born 1829 is in Rock Row  Thurstone, Yks with a Wife Jane who was born Penistone.
Cannot find his marriage or birth of children or find him on any other census.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 April 16 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thomas Cowlishaw was baptised 14.12.1856...........was this the a late baptism?????.As you say his birth dates vary so much..at his marriage he was allegedly born 1851..which must be right..otherwise he was onl 15/16 when he married..We all know how unreliable census dates can be, but the later ones are more reliable....

Let me run this by you..Thomas Cowlishaw married a Sarah..?? in 1871...and had children..

The parents..Henry and Sarah..of Thomas Cowlishaw Adams born 1883 baptised 1884..and of Ann Cowlishaw Adams baptised16.03.1879........plus three other children carrying the name Adams only...
1891..Sarah is still a widow..living with her children Ann..Thomas..and john....

Thomas and Ann have Cowlishaw in there name long before any marriage with a Colwishaw..and in you 1901 Census Thmas Adams correct age i a nephew.........
Sorry..it's bugging me.............

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 April 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
On Thomas Cowlinshaw's birth cert does it not give a maiden name, or previous name for his mother?

In other words, does it not say Sarah Adams formerly xxxxxx?

IF Sarah (mother) was the wife of Henry (father) then it would be very unusual for the birth cert not to give her maiden name.
Possible explanations could be:-
1) they weren't married, but by co-incidence, or by being related, she was called Adams too, but she was single so no previous name to note
2) They were married, but her maiden name was also Adams, probably distantly related, so registrar didn't bother to put it
3) Error on part of registrar, just forgot to note her maiden name

Getting a birth cert of one of the siblings, eg Ann Cowlishaw Adams, might be a good move to see what that says.

IF however, Thomas's birth cert DOES give Sarah's maiden name .... then please tell us what it was!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk