Author Topic: War Diaries for Royal Engineers  (Read 1049 times)

Offline redcap914

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
War Diaries for Royal Engineers
« on: Sunday 01 May 16 21:14 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how to access the war diaries online of the Royal Engineers attached to the Brigade of Guards at the Somme and Beaumont Hamel in 1916. Thank you

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: War Diaries for Royal Engineers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 16 21:59 BST (UK) »
These are they at the National Archives
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_p=1900&_q=War+Diary+Guards+Division+Royal+Engineers

They are also on Ancestry if you have a sub?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
You should be able to find them through the National Archives website.
I found my grandfather's unit (Royal Engineers 7th Field) for the period 1915/16, and was pleased to see how much detail it held. I was able to download it as a pdf.
Hope you are as lucky as I was.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 16 09:26 BST (UK) »
I could have been a bit more helpful in my first reply.  There were 3 Guards Brigades which, from 1915, fought together in the new Guards Division.  The Royal Engineer support to that Division consisted of the three Field Companies whose diaries are at the link I gave (together with the diary of their Commander Royal Engineers).  I should have included the Guards Divisional Signal Company (signals was at that time, a Royal Engineer responsibility).  Their diary is at

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/?_q=War+Diary+guards+divisional+signal+company

You can of course download all of them but if you are able to identify which one the person you are interested in served, then that will narrow the field (and the, not too exorbitant, expense!).  Post his name rank and number (or any of those) if you wish.

Edit - While the Guards Division were indeed involved in the Battle of the Somme , I don't find them engaged at Beaumont Hamel, their major engagement was in battles in September south of Beuamont Hamel at Flers-Courcelette and Morval.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline redcap914

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 16 11:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I know that my Dad was at Flers as I was in 2014, stayed at a house in the village and was given a tour by a battlefield guide who lives in Flers, he had previously lived here in the place I live in Lancashire. He also told me that the diaries occupy a huge amount of space.
A photo of my Dad in uniform shows signalling flags on his arm so I guess the signalling branch is the one I should look into. I am not really computer savvy so I might be back on here for more guidance If only I had talked to him more . . . life is full of if onlys!!

Offline redcap914

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 16 11:44 BST (UK) »
I am with Ancestry but have never been able to find the military records perhaps my sub needs upgrading

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 May 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
Signal flags were a good spot.  Downloading the diary from the archives is the simplest way to go about it, only £3.45 and instant download.  Go to the link I gave above, click the heading, takes you to an ordering and viewing page, add to basket and buy in the normal online purchase fashion.

Alternatively, as you've already got an Ancestry sub, I'll send you a click by click approach to the diary by Personal Message in a few moments.

Do let us know how you get on, happy to help further if required..

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk