Author Topic: Which Board of Guardian district is Eastmoor Drive, Carlton, Nottingham?  (Read 407 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi all

This is a continuation of another thread relating to Berkshire and London St Pancras www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=737775.18, as a result of which I've been able to find out much more at the LMA.

I am wondering which Board of Guardian district would cover this address:
Highfield House, Eastmoor Drive, Carlton, Nottingham

and if records have been archived in Nottingham.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to track a child (John Campbell born Oct 1897) who was taken in by his aunt and uncle (Norman Trevor Smith and Kate Smith nee Crook) in March 1902, when his siblings were admitted to St Pancras workhouse, then school and then boarded out.

The notes state that by (or in?) Jan 1903, the Smiths had 'gone away no address'.  I know the uncle died in South Africa in 1907, and Kate Smith plus their own 2 children are shown on a passenger list Liverpool to Capetown in March 1903.  I presume the uncle travelled first and then sent for his family.  I can't find him on any passenger list but doubt he would have taken a young child with him.  I can't find a likely John Campbell on any passenger list either; nor can I find Kate and her 2 boys on a passenger list returning, but I've found them all in England by the 1911 census.  So I'm assuming, possibly wrongly that John Campbell was handed over to the local Board of Guardians?  I can't see him anywhere in the St Pancras records so don't think he was returned there.

The notes in the Record of Children for St Pancras BG include the grandmother's address too (Baystone, Florence Rd, Chester Rd, nth Birmingham) so I will post this question on the Warwickshire section too to find out which Board of Guardians district this was in (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=747599.msg5950554#msg5950554).  I'm not sure if she shared the care of the child with the Smiths, or if they handed him over to grandma when they decided to emigrate. I can't read some of the entry on the records for the grandmother as a line has been struck through her details with the note that she died in Dec 1902. 

He would seem to have had an unlucky childhood...
Crook, Bannister, Warren