Author Topic: Edward Wharfedale from Burnley (Lancashire)  (Read 5169 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Wharfedale from Burnley (Lancashire)
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 08:13 BST (UK) »
It is on Anc - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hk8/

Kay

Edit -His father is a fiction as his mother was unmarried - but his grandfather was John

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 09:55 BST (UK) »
I've compared the signatures on the Oldfield marriage and the 1911 census, and I don't think they are the same person. Not sure, but in serious doubt.

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
It is on Anc - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hk8/

Kay

Edit -His father is a fiction as his mother was unmarried - but his grandfather was John

So when asked for his father's name he gave his grandfather's?

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 12:19 BST (UK) »
So I've done some digging on the family of James Edward Oldfield, the one who married Hannah Middleton in 1893, in Bradford.

At the time of the 1901 census they were a family of five: James, Hannah and children Elsie 6, Hannah 5 and Edward 3, living in Bradford.

At the time of the 1911 census the family as such is unfindable, but it appears that Hannah 15 and Edward 13 are living with their grandfather John Middleton 63, in Bradford. Elsie 16 is living with an uncle, in South Manchester. Where father James and mother Hannah have disappeared to I have as yet no clue.
Now on the lookout for a possible death of mother Hannah some time between 1901 and 1908.

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 12:59 BST (UK) »
It seems that Hannah Oldfield (nee Middleton), the wife of James Edward Oldfield, died in Ashton-under-Lyne in the 2nd quarter of 1908.

Edward Wharfedale marries Elizabeth Caroline Pickles in the 4th quarter of 1908.

It seems possible that widower James Edward put up his children with his wife's family, ditched his first name James and got remarried as merely Edward, with a new (weird) surname.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
Whilst possible it does look not likely that he would move area, change name and remarry in 6 months after his wife died - but stranger things happened!!  He could have left his wife before she died??

It will be interesting to see what the 1908 marriage cert says!!

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
There is a George B Oldfield who is a joiner and wheelwright . I think this is him- death 1904- George Bew Oldfield

He was baptised in Aberford, Yorkshire, in 1856. But I can't find a relationship (yet) between George B Oldfield and Harry W Oldfield. Let alone tie in James Edward or his mother Elizabeth Oldfield...

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 14:53 BST (UK) »
George and Henry Oldfield were brothers or first cousins, they are living together as grandsons of one Frances Oldfield, their nan, in Aberford, in the 1871 census. Still no clue how James Edward is related though...

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
Oldfield is very much a Lancashire Surname ... I'm ploughing through a pile of them now, I'll let you know if I find one who is "elsewhere" at the right time.... I think we're on far safer ground with that than Wharfedale.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)