Author Topic: Cuilchenna / Onich churches.  (Read 908 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Cuilchenna / Onich churches.
« on: Monday 02 May 16 23:28 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I should put in Argyll as there tends to be ambiguity about that area.

I have been trying to help some with dates for the old Cuilchenna / Onich Free Church but just found odd newspaper references the 19th Century and I think up to the early 20th Century.  Does anyone have any dates for it?

Even the CoS is confusing, there was the Quod Sacra / Quoad Sacra Parish church (the HER has a photo of this) until 1911 when the new church was built in the centre of Onich but the manse appears to have been down near where that new church was built.

Also the Episcopal church at the far East end of Onich and RC chapel very near it for a time.

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cuilchenna / Onich churches.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 15:50 BST (UK) »
Looking at if it might have been built in 1845 and known as North Ballachulish Free Church but still after any further information.

POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cuilchenna / Onich churches.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
Argyll yes, the Free Church was on the A82 at the bend heading north just beyond the road to  Cuilcheanna House.  As to when it was built I have no idea but from what I read on the web you may be looking at two churches the "Old" Free Church and the Free Church built in 1874. 

You might better luck if this was on the Argyll board and perhaps someone will move it over.  If you get no responses perhaps the Library at Fort William might hold the answers you seek.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cuilchenna / North Lochaber / Onich churches.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 18:19 BST (UK) »
Looking at if it might have been built in 1845 and known as North Ballachulish Free Church but still after any further information.

The shell of the church is at the rear of the old manse.  The person who was asking me has been in contact with the archive.

I have been looking in some newspaper to see if I could anything on the closure but not found it.

I mentioned the other churches to just get all the information down and in case someone confused with one of them. 

As I wrote, there is ambiguity in that area about whether Argyll or Inverness-shire.

There is also a tradition of an older church / chapel in Gorstain Fridaig / Fridda's Field.

O'Shea - Quebec