Author Topic: Help finding where James Nicol buried - died 1942 in Edinburgh  (Read 2183 times)

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding where James Nicol buried - died 1942 in Edinburgh
« on: Tuesday 03 May 16 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I need some help locating where James Nicol is buried.

He died in July 1942 at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh. He was 71 years old, born in February of 1871 in Fife.

I just realized he remarried, and it appears her name is Magdaline Beveridge on the death record. Spelling might not be correct on that, the writing is a little tricky to read.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!  :D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding where James Nicol buried - died 1942 in Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
There is a possible marriage showing for a couple with these names in 1924. You can view the image of the cert on Scotlands People which will let you confirm that it is the right James Nicol. It is the only entry...

Was James showing as resident in the Ediburgh area when he died? He died at the Royal Infirmary from what you found. Normally there will be a 'Usual Address' also included. This could help you determine where he may have been buried (or cremation is also possible by now). He may not have been buried in Edinburgh if he wasn't a resident there normally.

Some guidance records here www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20019/burials_and_cremations/316/burial_records

There is also this database here www.deceasedonline.com/emails/email_20110624_1.html Couldn't see a ref to a James Nicol 1942 on this though.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
I need some help locating where James Nicol is buried.
He died in July 1942 at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh.

His death certificate, available at modest cost at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, will tell you his usual residence at the time of his death.

Armed with this information, you can then contact the local authority which currently covers that address, and as them if they have a record of his burial or cremation.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
Usual address: 31 Aitken Street Kirkcaldy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 17:23 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 16 07:43 BST (UK) »
There is a possible marriage showing for a couple with these names in 1924. You can view the image of the cert on Scotlands People which will let you confirm that it is the right James Nicol. It is the only entry...

Was James showing as resident in the Ediburgh area when he died? He died at the Royal Infirmary from what you found. Normally there will be a 'Usual Address' also included. This could help you determine where he may have been buried (or cremation is also possible by now). He may not have been buried in Edinburgh if he wasn't a resident there normally.

Some guidance records here www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20019/burials_and_cremations/316/burial_records

There is also this database here www.deceasedonline.com/emails/email_20110624_1.html Couldn't see a ref to a James Nicol 1942 on this though.

Monica  :)

Hi Monica,

Thank you very much for that tip! I had no idea he had remarried.  I'm descended from his first wife, Elizabeth Black, so all I originally knew is that she died in 1922 and I had no idea where he went after that. I went to the local library and indeed found he remarried in 1924. So, thank you, it's much appreciated!

Also, thank you for the address tip. It appears he did live in Fife, as the other posters have mentioned, so I'll look there.

Much appreciated!

~Steph

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 May 16 07:45 BST (UK) »
Usual address: 31 Aitken Street Kirkcaldy

So the chances are that he was taken home to Kirkcaldy for burial or cremation.

See https://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics/index.cfm?fuseaction=service.display&objectid=B454D62E-E93D-42B7-ABB3-0B97EF3B15F7

Thank you very much for all of the assistance and the home address!! I'll definitely look into this further.  I very much appreciate the information as it's tricky sometimes doing this family history search from across the Atlantic.  :D

~Steph

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 May 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
it's tricky sometimes doing this family history search from across the Atlantic.  :D

It's even more tricky doing research across the Atlantic from the UK

Either you search and get 43,000,000 hits on A******y and you can't see how to narrow it down enough to get rid of the 42,999,999 hits you don't have time to wade through, or you get to the point of knowing where your possible relative died, only to find out that unless you can prove they are your relative you can't get the certificate and without the certificate you can't prove ... etc ... etc :D

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
Fife Free Press on BNA reports a couple of tributes paid by the minister of Pathhead West Church, one from the pulpit at Sunday service and one at the local presbytery meeting. James Nicol had been a member of the church choir, an elder and also superintendent of the Sunday School. He had retired fr Messrs Nairn a few years previously and died in EDinburghRoyal Infirmary following an operation.
There is also a death notice in the paper on 18/7/1942 which mentions his wife Magdalene Beveridge but does not give funeral arrangements.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)