Author Topic: Weston Turville baptism - Oman  (Read 1402 times)

Offline cannylad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Weston Turville baptism - Oman
« on: Wednesday 04 May 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Does anyone have access to the baptisms for Weston Turville. I am interested in any details about a baptism for a William Oman and a George Oman in in the first few years of the 1800s.
Many thanks.
Cannylad

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Weston Turville baptism - Oman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 17:27 BST (UK) »
No Oman, nor anything similar to that surname in the BucksFHS - Weston Turville Parish regs transcripts.

Have you any other information that may help us. to help you.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline cannylad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 16 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply, sorry for my late response but I have been away. I am afraid that I do not have any other info. In 1841 Census George Oman recorded as being born in county of residence (Middlesex). I could not find him in 1851. In 1861 (where he was recorded as William) he said he was born in Weston Turville and in 1871 in Buckingham. He died in 1880. Perhaps he may have lived in Weston Turville but was not actually born there or even in the county of Bucks.
I will keep on plodding away. Thanks again.
Cannylad

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 16 14:29 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has a George HOMAN Christened  10 June 1804, Waddeston, Bucks to WILLIAM/ANN
There is a WILLIAM 1810 to them also but he seems to stay in Bucks.

So not likely yours.

Just checking;
In 1841 do you have this Geo Oman as born c 1811, Publican, Wife Jane?
1861 William Oman 1802 Bucks, Wife Mary A, living St Katherine, Middlesex,  Occp Dock Master

If so, 1851 there is this;
Thos Oman, 49, Dock Master, born Buckinghamshire
Mary Ann Oman, 50
Maria Oman, 24
William Oman, 19
Clara Stephens, 24
Maria Nibbs, 6, Grand/Daug
Ann Dalgliesh, 49

Presume this is your 1841;
Ann Oman, 40, Publican
William Oman, 40, NOT born in County
Mary Oman, 16
Elizth Oman, 15
Maria Oman, 13
William Oman, 9
Ellen Oman, 11
Thos Harrington, 23
Ann Dalglish, 40
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
There is a THOMAS Homan Christened  10 March 1799 Waddeston, Bucks to WILLIAM/ANN

Cant see him on any Census, there is another 1809 with different Parents who is easy to track.

Cant see why he would change from Thomas/William but stranger things have happened!

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline cannylad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hello - thank you for your reply. I have been doing some more searching and have pieced together the following. A William Oman wed Elizabeth Jernegan in Lambeth in 1800 and they had 4 children - William (WO) in about 1801 in Bucks, George (GO) in about 1803 in Bucks, Elizabeth (EO) in about 1806 in Sunbury, Middlesex and Henry Ward Oman (HWO) in about 1811 in Lambeth. Elizabeth Jernegan's parents were Thomas Jernegan and Mary Ward, hence Henry's middle name being Ward.
I have found the baptisms records of EO and HWO but not WO and GO.
EO and HWO never married.
WO did marry and he became the Dock Master at St. Katherine's Dock, mistakenly being referred to as Thomas in the 1851 Census, but correctly as William in 1861.
GO married Jane Wade in 1823, was a publican in 1841 in Stepney. He was mistakenly recorded as William in 1861 and was also mistakenly recorded as William on the marriage certificates of 2 of his daughters, who wed 2 brothers called Davis on the same day - the marriage certs have the subsequent correction written in the margin.
EO and HWO were living at 4, Friern Place, Peckham Rye in 1871 and when GO died in 1880 he was "of 4 Friern Place", linking him to EO and HWO. When HWO died in 1891 there is reference to his 2 nephews William Oman (son of WO) and William Oman (son of GO), confirming that GO is brother to HWO and that GO's parents are William Oman and Elizabeth Jernegan.
I hope this sounds logical.
Thanks again.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi cannylad,

I have just had a quick look at your reply and will have to get back to you.

Not feeling well so having a early night :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:47 BST (UK) »
Looks pretty logical to me cannylad :)