Author Topic: Laurence Laurenson went to South Africa in ??? He was born in Shetland in 1877  (Read 1800 times)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A pleasure glad I could help.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
This mentions a Laurence Laurenson as a half brother. He may have died in New Zealand, hence no estate in South Africa. Link http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/features/7198293/Shetland-Islanders-never-forgot-home
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: Laurence Laurenson went to South Africa in ??? He was born in Shetland in 1877
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi - thank you so much for all the information you have given me.  Just returned from a trip to Scotland & a wonderful 6 days in Shetland- my first trip outside of North America. The book looks goo :)d and will read it as soon as I get caught up a bit on my sleep - it was a long journey!!  Also saw the other part but no time to look at it - YET.

One of the highlights besides seeing where my ancestor came from, was the Bus Boat Memorial Service.  It was on whilst we were there & both my daughter thought it was good.  A lot of Danes were in attendance.  Thank you ever so much. :) :)
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa