Author Topic: William Henry Napier born Topsham, Devon  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry Napier born Topsham, Devon
« on: Monday 16 May 16 02:50 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth/baptism of William Henry Napier born Topsham, Devon for over 35 years and have come up against a brick wall or perhaps located it but not realised and his marriage.  The following is what I know:

I first located him in the 1861 census in Aldenham, Hertfordshire, England; William Napier, Head age 27 years, Footman and born in Devon, Topsam (sic) along with his wife Harriet age 30 years, born in Chard, Somerset.  She is a Laundress.

They next appear in the 1871 census for Keymer, Hurstpierpoint, St Johns Common, Cuckfield (RG10/1064 F.8 P.10)  William Napier, Head, 36 years, Gardner, Devon Topsam and Harriet Napier 40 years born Chard, Somerset.  There are also 2 children William Napier age 7 Middx, Elstree and Arthur 4 years, Kent, Lee.

I next find them on the passenger list of the "Northampton" which sailed from London 20 March 1874 and arrived in Lyttleton, NZ on 6 June 1874.  Passenger were quarantined on Ripa Island for a "modified form of smallpox".  William Napier was 29 years from Devon and a gardener.  Harriet was 33 years and they had 3 children; William 9, Arthur 6 and Ernest 2 years.

Ernest Napier dies on 30 June 1874 at the quarantine station.

Harriet Napier is Julia Harriet Napier nee Farrow daughter of William and Mercy Farrow.  William is a Plumber.

Julia Harriet Napier dies on 21 May 1877, Knights Town, Christchurch, New Zealand aged 47 years.  Her death registration records that she married at age 29 years to William Henry Napier in Fulham, Middlesex.
                                                                                   more ...........

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Napier born Topsham, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 16 03:13 BST (UK) »
The children are:
1  William Henry Napier born 30 June 1864, The Fortune, Elstree, Edgware, Middlesex.  William Snr's occupation was Butler
Note:  apparently this house had the signs of the zodiac on the ceiling of one of the rooms.  The house was bombed during WW2.
2  Arthur Edward Napier born 29 January 1867, 1 Belmont Road, Lee, Kent.  William was a Jobbing Gardener.
3  Albert Ernest Napier born 27 May 1871, Highlands, Keymer, Hurstpierpoint, Sussex.  William was a Gardener.  Ernest died 30/6/1874 in NZ.

On 1 March 1880 WH Napier re-married to Angelina Brown (formerly Selina King) in Christchurch, NZ.  Both of Full Age.  William  was a Gardener.

William Henry Napier died on 17 September 1917, Wellington, NZ, Gardener aged 81 years.  81 has been struck out and 76 written in.

Two UK researchers in 1975 and 1989 have been unable to locate the marriage of WH Napier/Julia Harriet Napier between 1837 -1861

I have been unable to locate a birth/baptism for WH Napier and have also tried various spellings.  There is a WH Napier born in Tavistock, Devon c1837 but this is not my one.

Any assistance appreciated.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Did you know that Topsham has a museum with an extensive local family history department?
You can e mail them by following this link:

http://www.heartofdevon.com/exeter/things-to-do/topsham-museum-p137673
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 16 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi mowsehowse,

I have been in touch with the Topsham Museum and they have been unable to come up with any relevant baptism.

At the time of the 1861 census WH Napier was a Footman, any suggestions as to where I might be able to find out where he was working?

Wendy

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
Did he not name a Father on his second M/C?

1851 Census has a William Henry Napier, born c 1837 France (British Subject) Visiting the Vawter Family in Lewtrenchard, Devon.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hello.
If you have him on the census, surely that includes the address?

Do you know about Genuki? This link will take you to Aldenham, Herts on Genuki. Perhaps it might give you some leads?    >  http://joinermarriageindex.co.uk/pjoiner/genuki/HRT/Aldenham/index.html  <

From the post Tish has put on it seems like perhaps you should be seeking a baptism in France??

I am sorry I am not being much help.  :-[
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
The WHN that Trish found in 1851 was born in Paris. He shows up in the UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects, 1628-1969 on Ancestry. Born in 1836, baptised May 15, son of Johnstone and Isabella NAPIER, a Colonel. So looks like a military background for that WHN.

Ian C

EDIT
You can rule him out. He died in fighting in the Indian Mutiny in 1857. Named as son of Johnstone Napier.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish and mowsehowse.
Unfortunately WH Napier's second m/c does not contain details of the parents.  The Intention to Marry notice does not provide details either.  This is why I am trying to find the marriage details of WH Napier and J H Farrow in Fulham, Middlesex.  As he was a Footman/Butler/Gardener is is likely that his father was also in service.

Thanks Eyesee.  I had also ruled this one out.

In respect of the 1861 census RG09 Piece 832 Folio 141 Page 17, gives the address as "Elstree, Aldenham, Hertfordshire".

An item appears in The Dominion newspaper (Wellington, New Zealand) on 9 December 1916 "Military Service Board Reservists' Appeal".   My Grandfather Ernest Edward Napier appealed to the Board for an exemption from war service which was allowed.  The Article states "WH Napier, father of appellant, sated he was 77 years .....He was an old Volunteer, and did not want to hold back his son, but did not see how he could do without him".
This could be a clue to some military service.  Not sure where to look to take this further.  Any ideas?

Any suggestions/advice gratefully received as it is good to have fresh eyes take a look at the information as I could have missed something obvious.

Wendy

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Quote: "An item appears in The Dominion newspaper (Wellington, New Zealand) on 9 December 1916 "Military Service Board Reservists' Appeal".   My Grandfather Ernest Edward Napier appealed to the Board for an exemption from war service which was allowed.  The Article states "WH Napier, father of appellant, sated he was 77 years .....He was an old Volunteer, and did not want to hold back his son, but did not see how he could do without him".

The info earlier suggested he was born between 1836 and 1841, but this would narrow it to 1839??
.... if that helps?

I am not sure you should be supposing WH junior's father was in service too.  I have people who were Ag Labs but their children managed to get a place in the big house.  From what I have read very few household staff were allowed to be married, although the HEAD gardener on a large estate was likely to live in a surprisingly nice house with more rooms than was usual for people in service.