Author Topic: Trying to trace William & Ellen Lamb  (Read 2549 times)

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace William & Ellen Lamb
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 May 16 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Thanks for this.
I have been building my tree on Ancestry and have seen this Edward Lamb & Mary Ann Rose. This Edward is the son of George Lamb and Bridget Cullen.
I think there must be a connection more than just a coincidence that these are the two same names being witnesses to William Carey's marriage and a George Lamb being named as William Carey's father on the marriage certificate.
George & Bridget are on the 1871 Census with daur Mary Ann but no William.
I'm going to try researching the possibility George may be William Carey/Lamb's father but perhaps Bridget is not William's mother and George had a relationship with a daur of Thomas Carey before marrying Bridget.
Thanks very much for your help & time on this.
I won't be around tomorrow but will get back asap later in the week.
Many thanks,
:)
Lamb Travelled Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire & Middlesex areas finally settling 1950s Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.
Smith Travelled Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Surrey & Hampshire.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 09:31 BST (UK) »
Yes would say William Carey was the son of George Lamb and The daughter of Thomas Carey   before his marriage to Bridget Cullen .. The problem is trying to find them in the 1871 census  ???
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 11:06 BST (UK) »
Strong possibility Lemontaney Carey ?? married to a Joseph Parker b 1846 Epsom might be worth checking out
Lemon Taney Carey birth date 6/8/1849 baptism 19/8/1849
Colnbrook Buckingham does say male but female in other census records
Father Thomas mother Caroline
Rosie

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Apologies for delay in replying, have had a busy couple of days and not much spare time to do research.
I will definitely check this one out. 
I have found Alice Carey with a little help from Eric Trudgill research :) Alice was baptised "Cairy" in 1840 to Thomas & Caroline. I'm going to start researching the Carey tree. I haven't yet found a marriage between Alice Carey and George Lamb but there is another Carey/Lamb marriage in extended family in the next generation. 
There are 2 further baptisms in Surrey for Albert & John both to George & Alice Lamb so will look a bit further into them too to see if they pop-up on a census somewhere.
Many thanks Rosie :)

Lamb Travelled Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire & Middlesex areas finally settling 1950s Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 18:57 BST (UK) »
There is also a burial record  for a Alice Carey 31 October 1865 age 25 Cove St John Yately Surrey
Rosie

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Thank you. I have been looking on Ancestry for a burial record and hadn't seen this one. George Lamb married Bridget Cullen in 1868 so I think this makes it even more likely Alice was his first wife and Bridget his 2nd.
Alice has 2 brothers, Thomas & John, with marriages and baptising children in the Surrey records so I'm going to go back through the records to see if I can find a marriage for Alice & George.

Many thanks Rosie, much appreciated :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
I don't think George Lamb was married to William Carey's mother if it was Alice ?  The only thing now would. be to find the birth for William  ???
Rosie

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

The record I have found is a baptism in Chessington, Surrey, 2nd April 1865 for William Lamb to parents George and Alice but I guess they may not have married, although the burial record for Alice records her name as Lamb.
I have found Alice's two brothers marriages in Surrey so was hopeful that she would have had a marriage ceremony there too. I have been looking around the 1858-9 records, partly because her age would have been about 19/20 plus the first baptism record I found was for Albert Lamb in Horsell, Surrey dated 11th Dec 1859 to parents George and Alice. The second baptism is John Lamb in Chessington, Surrey dated 13 Jul 1862. William would have been the youngest born in 1865 and then there is the burial record for Alice Lamb in October 1865, the Ancestry records place this as being Farnborough, Surrey but Cove & Yateley are very near so all in the same district.
I have been looking through the census for Albert and John Lamb. So far I have found one record for a Albert - not convinced it's the right Albert - but he is in the Army in 1891 & married to a Louisa Maude (nee Cartwright) so will try to find their marriage certificate to check what this Albert's father's name is to either confirm or eliminate him.

Sorry, I'm beginning to waffle now  :-\
so many records to check & I often go off on a tangent when looking for one record and find another haha! but I love it.
Thanks Rosie :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 May 16 10:42 BST (UK) »
Think the burial record is for Alice Carey ? or is there another one maybe you should order the death certificate to see what information is on it
Rosie :)