Author Topic: Kirkby Fleetham - Churches  (Read 811 times)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirkby Fleetham - Churches
« on: Tuesday 17 May 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone out there with knowledge of the history of the churches of the parish of Kirkby Fleetham?

I have an ancestor, Anne Boddy, a resident of Great Fencote, who was married in the parish of Kirkby Fleetham on the 14th February 1711. The question is, would she have married St Mary's, Kirkby Fleetham, or at St Andrew's, Great Fencote?

Looking at a photo of St Andrew's, it appears to me to be more modern than 1711, but I can't find any date for the building's construction.

I understand that St Mary's was completely restored in 1871, so was it derelict and out of use before this?

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkby Fleetham - Churches
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
According to the National Index of Parish Registers, St Andrew's Great Fencote was built in 1847, and doesn't have its own registers anyway. (Entries will be in the registers for Kirkby Fleetham.)

There's no evidence of any significant gaps in the Kirkby Fleetham registers before 1871, so I think it would simply have been a major refurbishment of the building, rather than it being out of use or derelict.

There's more information on the parish at GENUKI: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Kirkbyfleetham/index.html

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkby Fleetham - Churches
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 19:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Arthur. That answers my question. The building of St Andrew's obviously post dates my ancestor's wedding date by some considerable margin.