Author Topic: Random dead people  (Read 1412 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Random dead people
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 May 16 12:13 BST (UK) »
Lovely thought, Fiona, but it will be very costly and probably not possible as you aren't related in any way. Sadly there must be thousands like this.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 May 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
If you are not at all connected (either by blood or friendship) to the deceased (who seems not to have left a valid Will) then I can't see that you have any right at all to put the name on that particular headstone.

I also know of several instances where the deceased (or their family) did NOT wish to have their details on a family stone for the plot where they are buried.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 May 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
I located my OH's cousin who died a baby and found that as it was a common grave the first person who could prove direct line to any one buried in the grave could claim it. Someone related to another person in the grave has done this and not erected any stone, either to their own relative or ours!

We, nor her siblings, cannot erect a stone as we do not own the grave. We could have an inscription placed elsewhere stating she is buried in cemetery; i.e. on another grave that we own.

I would love to have a gravestone on every relatives grave but unfortunately I could not afford the cost of the purchase of the graves not to mention those of the headstones as well.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder