Author Topic: Look up request: Charles Smith Dyer b.1808 Somerton, Somerset  (Read 641 times)

Offline zoobiscuitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look up request: Charles Smith Dyer b.1808 Somerton, Somerset
« on: Monday 23 May 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the names of the parents of my ancestor, Charles Smith Dyer. He was born in about 1808 in Somerton.  I have seen him in censuses and know that he was a saddler/harnessmaker and was married to Elizabeth Payne (b. about 1810 in Langport). Both Charles and Elizabeth seem to have died in 1894 in Wells.

Charles and Elizabeth were married in Radcliffe, Bristol, on 22 November 1834.

I have searched for the baptism of Charles, but have not been able to find him in Somerton.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help :)

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request: Charles Smith Dyer b.1808 Somerton, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 16 19:49 BST (UK) »
I did a search for a Charles born in Somerton where the registers are accessible using freereg.org. I didn't find any matches.
However, there are Smiths born to a William and Susanna (James, Fanny and John) all christened in 1806 in St Michael Somerton.

In regards to Dyer, I found an Anne 1801 to a William and Anne
and a Jane 1816 same parents. and a Henry 1821. William is noted as being a cabinet maker here and joiner.  There seem to be a rather large gap in the records here and a 15 year one between their children. Maybe the parish registers are just lost/ not transcribed for those years unfortunately? Maybe these could be his parents?

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've checked the Somerton baptisms to see if there are any pages missing and find they have all been transcribed, some by myself so I checked the actual registers and although 1807/8 is in very poor condition, I cannot see anything that resembles Charles Smith Dyer.  I have checked the West St. Independent Church records as well and there is nothing there either.  So I would assume that he was not baptised in Somerton.  Nor in Kingsdon.

Have you tried to find a marriage for a Smith to a Dyer as that may be the maiden name of Charles's mother.

Sorry I cannot help.
Elizabeth

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 June 16 22:49 BST (UK) »

Charles and Elizabeth were married in Radcliffe, Bristol, on 22 November 1834.

Have you seen this Redcliffe marriage record yourself? I have only been able to find a submitted entry to the IGI, Charles Dyer and Elizabeth Payne. Is it indexed anywhere else online?
I can't see a record in England of any Charles Smith Dyer. No reference at all, other than your post and some online trees, which also say that he had a son of the same name, born 1846. But that son appears to have been registered as plain Charles Dyer. And was baptized in Butleigh, 22 March 1846, as Charles Dyer, father Charles Dyer, a saddler (same as on all the Butleigh baptisms, according to FreeReg)

Charles' death was registered in Dec qtr 1894, Wells - Charles Dyer, age 86.
Buried 18 October in Butleigh
No mention anywhere of Smith!

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 June 16 23:13 BST (UK) »
I've just checked the marriage at St Mary Redcliffe and there is one for Charles Dyer bach to Elizabth Payne spin botp but on 27 Nov. 1834 after banns.

As you state, No Smith.

If this information came from an Ancestry tree, I would not trust it at all.

Elizabeth

Offline bicker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 16 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I know this does not help with the query, but have you looked at the butleigh.org web site as the family in question are mentioned are in the Butleigh People section .

http://butleigh.org/butleighpeople/ButleighPeopleD.html

Regards Heather
Somerset
Areas Bridgwater, Street, Glastonbury and surrounding Villages

Names, Whitcombe (and variations) , Diment, Mounsher, Cave

Wiltshire
Areas Pewsey, Calne
Clements, Ashton, Henly, Groves, Burgess

Kent
All, Folkestone for Punnett family
Punnett, Roalfe (and variations), Vaughan, Tuff,