Author Topic: Freeman (St Margaret Moses)  (Read 627 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Freeman (St Margaret Moses)
« on: Tuesday 24 May 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been tracking a long line of consecutive London based Samuel Edward Freemans (all married to an Eilza or Elizabeth) and the trail has recently lead me to St Margaret Moses.  It was there that Samuel Edward Freeman (son of Samuel Edward Freeman and Elizabeth) was baptised in 1806.  I have also seen that the National Archives note that in 1814, probate was granted for the will of Samuel Edward Freeman (Clerk and Traveller of St Margaret Moses) who I suspect was S E Freeman 1806's father. 

This is the line as I presently see it. 
Samuel E Freeman (the elder) born ? Married Elizabeth (nee Cooper?) date unknown.
Possibly became Clerk and Traveller of St Margaret Moses.  Died c1814?
I'd like to know more if possible or just get some sort of confirmation.

Son: Samuel E Freeman (bapt 18 Mar 1806) married Eliza(beth) Randall (1837 by a Faculty Marriage Licence?) or an Eliza(beth) Adams.  He became a Superintendent of Police in Melbourne and committed suicide in Geelong Australia Nov 1862.
(Note: Elizabeth may be the same woman, but had 2 surnames because of a previous marriage)   

Grandson:  Samuel E Freeman (bapt Westminster Dec 1828) Tailor's cutter and pattern maker of Islington.  Twice married (m 1855 Louisa Bell, and m 1866 Eliza Osborn)

My focus is on the elder of the Samuel Edward Freemans. 
Can anyone tell me exactly what a Clerk and Traveller did, or better still, add other mentions of this SE Freeman to extend my family research?

Regards Roy G

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Freeman (St Margaret Moses)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello
Let's start with Samuel E Freeman who married Eliza Adams Randall at St James Clerkenwell 11.9.1827 by licence .Both were single  and signed their names.
witnesses William Randall Harriet Freeman and Ethelfleda Randall.

Eliza Adams Randall from the 1851 census is born 1806 at St Dunstan.Bapt says born 8.4.1803 bapt 10th may d of William Frederick and Lydia Randall

As you know he was born 18.3.1806 bapt 13.4.1806 at Margaret Moses to Samuel E Freeman and Elizabeth.
There other children John was baptised 14.2.1808 born 27.1.1808,Elizabeth 31.12.1809 born 16.9.1809.
Elizabeth Alisa St Gregory by St Paul 28.10.1804 born 25th August.
Harriet 22.7.1805 at St Katherine Creechurch  born 9th(so probably the witness at Samuel Ed junior's marriage).

Cooper s of Samuel Edward and Elizabeth St James Clerkenwell born 16.12.1811 bapt 10.1.1812
Mary 24.10.1813 at St Mary Pentonville Distiller Chapel st

There's a marriage for the couple at St Mildred's Bread St 4.5.1802
Samuel Edward Freeman and Elizabeth Cooper

It looks like Samuel was also buried there in 1814
Samuel Edward Freeman Chapel St Pentonville age 43 13.8.1814 so born 1771.

The possible christening I can see is out of London at Chipping Norton Oxfordshire.
Samuel Edward Freeman 25.3.1771 s of Edward and Alice Freeman.

other children Edward 14.8.1767 innkeeper (Will 13.8.1809),Ann 13.4.1769,William Hammond 30.11.1772,Elizabeth Darby 1.8.1774,Mary 3.3.1777 and John 12.6.1778.
A Will of 1765 of his uncle Edward suggests that Edward and Alice Freeman names Samuel Edward after his father Samuel and himself.
The two Wills are at the Kew so take a look for yourself and see what you think.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
I'm gratefully Gobsmacked Ciderdrinker. 
I had hoped for just a few titbits of info, but you've really iced the cake.  I will have firstly to enter your info and then see where it's going to take me.
Cant thank you enough.
Regards Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again Ciderdrinker. 
The Info you sent has now been added to my tree on Geni, punching it back two further generations.
As I have just written, I now need to consider, "Where to from here?"
Regards Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 16 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker (and others)

I left this string a short while ago when I lost the London based connection because the ancestors proved to be from Oxfordshire.  There is however, one small London aspect that has since arisen that someone may still help me solve.

The Austrailian report on the 1862 suicide of Samuel Edward Freeman (he was born London 1806) stated he had 5 children in OZ and two left in London.  I have established his son Samuel Edward Freeman junior (bapt Westminster Dec 1828) tailor's cutter and pattern maker of Islington was left in the UK, and I am presuming the other was his eldest daughter Lydia Eliza Freeman.  Lydia was born 13 July 1830, bapt St James Westminster 9 Aug 1830, and also failed to travel with her parents and siblings to Austraila in 1853.

Unfortunately, I cannot trace Lydia beyond her baptism, but assume from the report given during the inquest after her father killed himself in Australia in 1862, that by that year she was still living.

Any help to identify her in the post 1830 London records would be most appreciated.

Regards Roy G

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker here
The London stuff was from Ancestry ,as were the Wills but the Oxford stuff is from FindMyPast.

As for Lydia Eliza she was buried at St Lukes Chelsea 27th May 1832 age 1yr 5mths from Cooks Ground.
It's sad but I suppose she was left behind in London.

Looking at Chipping Norton again on FindMyPast
There a Will in the Oxfordshire Will index
Edward Freeman the elder barber 1788 of C Norton.
He's Samuel Edward's father married to Alice who was buried  May 1812 born 1736.
Marriage Chipping Norton 17.2.1767 Edward Freeman and Alice Parker.

There's a copy of the Will on there if you have FindMyPast (mentions wife and children)and  if you haven't got the other two 1765 and 1809 pm me with your e-mail and I'll send you them.

Only library shut for Bank holiday so may be after that as I have no internet at home.

The one for 1765 for Edward barber and periwig maker CN.
mentions Edward nephew s of my brother Samuel
Edward s of my nephew William joiner of St Marylebone London
Mary Powelle d of brother Joseph
kinswoman Elizabeth Darby
kinswoman Elizabeth d of John Watts of Stratford on Avon.
And servant Alice Parker

1809 mother Alice
wife Elizabeth and daughters Ann Elizabeth,Mary Sarah,Catherine
brother in law Thomas Sheldon
brothers and sisters Samuel,William,Ann and Elizabeth.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the death details on Lydia Eliza.  Who ever referred to her as still being back in the UK was right, but it was a misleading statement for the inferrence was that she was still living.

Thanks also for the info on the wills.  I am going to have to PM you on those because there are certain aspects I am unsure of.

Regards Roy G