Author Topic: Looking for information on James Sloan, born Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland in 1846  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello - I am looking for information on my paternal great grandfather, James Sloan. He was born in County Wicklow in 1846 or 1847. He married Margaret (maiden name unknown) who was born in Ayr, Scotland in 1853 +/-. He had three children William David (born 1879), Sarah Anne (born 1880) and also known by "Annie") and Margaret Elizabeth (born 1887) and also known by "Maggie"). The three children were all born in County Wicklow. I believe that they were baptised in St. Paul's Church (Church of Ireland), Bray, County Wicklow. My understanding is that these baptismal records have survived. I am looking for a location for these baptismal records. they hopefully will provide more information on their parents, James and Margaret.

Other related family names that I am searching for information for are John McIlroy (born approx. 1860) who married Frances Jane (born 1871) - maiden name unknown. I believe Frances was the daughter of Abraham and Frances Pratt. I am also looking for information on Peter Dewar (born 1847) who married Margaret (born 1852) - maiden name unknown.

Thanks for any information anyone might be able to provide.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on James Sloan, born Bray, Co. Down, Ireland in 1846
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill, I think it may dissappoint you for awhile but you may have a muddle going on. The only Bray I could find in Ireland is Bray in Bray civil parish is located at the north east of Co. Wicklow and on the border with Co. Dublin. The civil parish is in the Poor Law Union/Civil Registration district of Rathdown. So suddenly St Pauls would become
Saint Paul's Church, Main Street, Bray, County Wicklow. there are appaently two one church of ireland, the other catholic in the same street.   so you could consider switching to Rootschat Wicklow board perhaps if i am correct.
good luck anyway
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on James Sloan, born Bray, Co. Down, Ireland in 1846
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 22:48 BST (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie try it for SLOAN in 1901 in bray town its the the luck of the irish alright
Bally G
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi - thanks very much for the reply. Yes, I would be looking for parish records from the Church of Ireland St. Paul's in Bray, County Wilklow. If I understand you, that would be in the civil parish of Rathdown. Thank you for that information.

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 23:36 BST (UK) »
 Hi BallyaltikilliganG - Yes, I have checked the 1901 and 1911 census records and can locate James and his family in the census records.  Thank you for making sure I was aware of those records. What I am trying to do now is find any information or documents (e.g. the baptismal records for James Sloan's children recorded in the St. Paul's Church of Ireland baptismal records might give me James' wife's maiden name) that might lead me farther back. I am really trying to find more information on James and his wife Margaret.

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have changed the posting slightly to clarify it. I am looking for information on James, who I believe was born in County Down AND I am looking for baptismal records for his children, who were born in County Wicklow. Apologies for the confusion.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 00:42 BST (UK) »

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann - thank you for the reply. I will definitely apply for copies of the civil birth records for the three children.  There are differences in the names (Annie and David seem to be listed by their middle names) and the dates (by a year) but I agree these are probably them. I will still pursue the baptismal records angle, just to have a copy of the documents, but the civil records should give me their mother's maiden name.  I will also get a copy of Margaret's death certificate.  I was able to find a reference to James' death in 1907. Thanks again. This is turning out to be a fascinating - if slightly daunting - search.