Author Topic: Crawford Allen  (Read 5285 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford Allen
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 May 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey
That's a blow  :-\ re Irish WILLS.

No, haven't seen that entry for daughter born 1849 - sounds as if it could be Alice - eldest daughter...

Thanks again.
Barb
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 30 May 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
1911 census, Alice is born abt 1850 so that fits.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 30 May 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica, Rosie and heywood
A huge thank you to everyone for the interest you have shown and the information you have shared with both Barb and myself. I find it quite amazing and overwhelming to think that this kind of information can be shared from one side of the world to the other. We still have some information to gather and are awaiting some birth certs that may shed a little more light on our mystery. As Barb said it would be great to know what happened in his life for our “Gentleman Crawford” to have travelled to Australia leaving his family.                                                                                                          We were thinking that the letter sent to him from his sister Jane in 1872 had been sent to him in Australia but this not being the case, this small letter must have held some importance to him for it to have survived the time and the events between 1872 and 2016.
Jillian

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 May 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hopefully the birth certificates will help you with your research on the elusive Crawford Allen did he use an alias name of Fletcher ? ...
Rosie

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 May 16 14:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, he gave his name as Thomas Fletcher in Wagga Wagga NSW. Charged with Forgery and Uttering  a  cheque  for 16 ponds 10s.
  ‘which a warrant was issued for the arrest of the prisoner, who gave his name as Thomas Fletcher; he did not give the name of Adams, or Crawford Allen.’  (Adams was his mothers maiden name)
A strange involved story surrounds this event.
Jillian

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 30 May 16 14:45 BST (UK) »

We were thinking that the letter sent to him from his sister Jane in 1872 had been sent to him in Australia but this not being the case, this small letter must have held some importance to him for it to have survived the time and the events between 1872 and 2016.
Jillian

Was there an address on this letter? The sisters' marriages were in 1872. He would have been 17 then from what we have. Your first likely sighting of him is two years later, on that manifest from 1874 on the Loch Eck isn't it?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
No. The note was not in an envelope. The address it was sent from was 41 Torrington Squares, 4th August 1872. It is only a short note and Jane states 'I can only write a note. I have such a number to write to'. I am thinking she may have been referring to the fact that she had lots of thankyou notes to write after her wedding in June.
Jillian

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 June 16 07:57 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to see that newspaper report...?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 02 June 17 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi rosie17 - I realise it is quite some time since the last posts on this subject but was just re-reading some of the amazing replies :-) and I noticed something that rates another question from a previous post of yours -
[quote]
Monday 30 May 2016
Hopefully the birth certificates will help you with your research on the elusive Crawford Allen did he use an alias name of Fletcher ? ...
Rosie [end quote]
If it is possible to think back that far I am wondering what caused the name of Fletcher to be mentioned....?  As it had been used by Crawford Allen, but we don't know why.
Barb in Oz
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG