Author Topic: William Westall Cheapside and Kent  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Westall Cheapside and Kent
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 10:44 BST (UK) »
The Will for William Westall is interesting. The transcription is online, free, somewhere.  Is it on the Hungerford site?  But, wherever it was, it shows all the property and money left to six of his children.  But on the original is shows that the first person he bequeaths money to is his son William, who he gives £5!  Then William isn't mentioned again.   

I wonder if they had a falling out.  And is this why we're having so much trouble tracing back to Winifred's father. (The retired in 1815 one)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 11:10 BST (UK) »
The Will for the William (retired 1815) dated 1824, has been mentioned earlier.  I was hoping it would help to trace him back, but it isn't at all straightforward.  Have you had any luck with it?

In the Will, William names his niece Jane Gifford Cain wife of Robert Cain of Liverpool.  Formerly Jane Gifford.   And his niece Ann Allen spinster, sister of Jane Gifford Cain.

Finding the marriage was nice and easy
Robert Cain married 1797 in Liverpool to Jane Gifford Allen
Witnesses George Morley and Ann Allen

There's this baptism, which is a bit confusing.  Was John the true father? On the 1841 census, Jane gives her age as 64 (b.1777)
Baptised 21st March 1777 - Bradford, Yorks.
Jane Gifford  -  father (?) John Allen of Gt.Horton  (The question mark is because I can't tell if that is a W. or a Mr.)

And this baptism
Baptised March 1778 - Keighley, Yorks.
Ann daughter of John Allen by his wife Jane, daughter of William Westall, gent.  (A very handy piece of information).

Thus, William Westall (retired 1815) had a sister called Jane.  So are they the William and Jane mentioned in Richard (dd1760) Will?

If so, I can't find baptisms for them anywhere.  Nor can I find a marriage for a Jane Westall to a Gifford.

Looking for a marriage for William (ret.1815) and his wife Hannah.  I found one for 1764 at St.Botolph, Bishopsgate.  I ignored this at first as I thought it was too early to be them.  Then I noticed that the witnesses were Jane Westall and H. Gifford.  So maybe it is them.

H.Gifford's name is actually written out in full, but I just can't work out what it's meant to be.  It's definitely not Henry or Herbert.  Looks more like Hartbowe.

Now I must go.  I'm going away on Saturday, and, unfortunately, have loads of things I must do.  I would much rather be doing this.

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 15:32 BST (UK) »
Tremendous progress Lily,

Yes, I too would rather be doing this but am a bit overwhelmed with work at the moment being in the middle of renovations on a house we hope to sell this summer. One rainy weekend I will attack Ancestry.co.uk with a passion and see how much I can get bagged before the bank account runs dry.

It is a bit addictive, isn't it?

Thanks again,

Bruce

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 18:15 BST (UK) »
Talking of Giffords, I came across a baptism in the parish of Crowmarsh Gifford, Oxon. I wonderif the Giffords originated in Crowmarsh?

William Westall bapt. 23.11.1757 in Crowmarsh Gifford

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
I've put a new post on here, asking for help to decipher H.Gifford's first name. It might prove helpful to know it, as it seems to be an unusual name.

Have you got any ideas as to what it could be? 

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hartbowe is a rare but existing family name. But I haven't found any relevant persons.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
I think the name has been solved now.  Take a look through my other post on here.  "Help deciphering this name please"

So do you think this is Jane Gifford's father.   Him and Jane Westall broke up? 

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
Just realised that he can't have been Jane's father as he was married to someone else at the time that Jane was born. 1777

So she took on the name Gifford, as her mother had that name, but John Allen was her real father.  I don't think Jane ever married John Allen.

Unfortunately, this doesn't get us any closer to finding the baptisms for Jane and her brother William Westall.

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 14:40 BST (UK) »
William Westall and Hannah of Bermondsey also had a son William.
18 Sep 1768
Parish:   St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey,
Parent(s):   Willm Westall,
Hannah Westall

The father is listed in the registry as 'Gentleman'