Author Topic: John MITCHELL / Bertha Agnes POWER / Bridget CARBERY Collingwood VIC  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Mark Smith Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I come from the land down-under.
    • View Profile
For at least 20 years members of the MITCHELL side of my family has been researching the MITCHELL family history.
My great-grandfather was Francis George MITCHELL and he died in Kew, Victoria, Australia in 1946. According to his death certificate he was born in Collingwood (c1870) and his parents were listed as John MITCHELL and Bertha Agnes POWER. However there is no record of his birth in the Victorian BDM indexes. He married Daisy Trayes HALLIDAY in 1893.
Going backwards I obtained a copy of Bertha Agnes MITCHELL's (nee POWER) death certificate. She died in Northcote, Victoria in 1913 aged 69. According to her death certificate she was born in Westmeath, Ireland (c1844) and came to Australia c1852. Her parents were listed as Thomas POWER and Margaret (maiden name unknown). She married John MITCHELL in Hawthorn, Victoria aged 18 (c1862). There were 11 children listed on this certificate, including Francis George as the third child. There is no record of the marriage, nor the births of the 11 children in the Victorian BDM indexes. Also we haven't yet found a record of Bertha Agnes POWER arriving in Australia.
However, a member of the family did discover that the last nine children were baptised at St Francis' or St Patricks' in Melbourne. All nine children were listed as residing in Collingwood with the father listed as John MITCHELL but the mother was listed as a Bridget CARBERY! There was no record of a church wedding nor the baptisms of the first two children - John Robert born Sep 1866 and Annie born 1868 (according to family stories) and we have yet to discover anything further about these two. The last nine children were:
 Francis George Mitchell, born 1870;
 Samuel Power Mitchell, born 1872;
 William Walter Mitchell, born 1874;
 James Chambers Mitchell, born 1875;
 Sydney John Mitchell, born 1877;
 Rebecca Jane Mitchell, born 1879;
 Joseph Leslie Campbell Mitchell, born 1881;
 Hubert Clarence Mitchell, born 1883; and
 Mabel Eleanor Mitchell, born 1884.
We have traced forward from these births to find the marriages and deaths and all list Bertha Agnes POWER as the mother.
Turning to John MITCHELL, with no marriage record (possibly listing parents' names) we have been unable to determine what became of him as the list of John Mitchells in the Victorian Death indexes is quite long. But we think that he may have died before 1913 as the death notice in "The Argus" for Bertha Agnes Mitchell states "... relict of the late John Mitchell...". I have narrowed it down to about 6 possibilities by ruling out some of the deaths using newspapers and probate lists.
Now to the mysterious Bridget CARBERY. There is a record of a Bridget CARBERY arriving in Melbourne on the ship "Boomerang" in Jan 1854:
 Thomas Carbery 32,
 Margaret Carbery 31,
 Bridget Carbery 11,
 Stephen Carbery 4, and
 Margaret Carbery 2.
This may be the right Bridget CARBERY as she was born c1842, but we have been unable to determine what happened to her. Interestingly I have traced both Stephen and the child Margaret CARBERY and their death records list parents as Thomas CARBERY and Margaret POWER! Is there a link to Bertha Agnes POWER?
There is still a long way to go, especially mapping out the Carberys to try and locate what happened to Bridget as her death certificate, along with John Mitchell's, may hold the key to this family mystery.
I hope that someone out there may be able to help.

Mark

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John MITCHELL / Bertha Agnes POWER / Bridget CARBERY Collingwood VIC
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 16 00:06 BST (UK) »
The nine baptisms - do you mean nine separate occasions, separate dates?.

Can you give the dates of the baptisms.......and they also gave you the birth dates?

The baptisms should also name godparents for each. Who are they please.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 16 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My great-grandfather was Francis George MITCHELL and he died in Kew, Victoria, Australia in 1946. According to his death certificate he was born in Collingwood (c1870) and his parents were listed as John MITCHELL and Bertha Agnes POWER. However there is no record of his birth in the Victorian BDM indexes. He married Daisy Trayes HALLIDAY in 1893. ....

The information on a marriage registration from the VIC BDM should be first hand information provided by the bride and the groom.   From that document, what information did Francis give about himself (age, occupation, usual residence, place of birth, etc and his parents - names, occupations, etc?  Who were the witnesses?

Registered in 1893
Francis Geo MITCHELL and Daisy Frayes HALLIDAY  #6446
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369963.0

·   Details on ALL Certificates for Victoria
·   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html
·   http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 16 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is it likely that Bridget (Bertha) was the child of Margaret (nee POWER) before Margaret married Thomas CARBERY?

Essie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 16 02:00 BST (UK) »
Good morning Wivenhoe,

Here are the details:
 Francis George Mitchell, born 22 Oct 1870; bapt 5 Dec 1872; Catherine Kearney.
 Samuel Power Mitchell, born 28 Aug 1872; bapt 5 Dec 1872; Ellen Hoy.
 William Walter Mitchell, born 6 Feb 1874; bapt 18 Feb 1875; Catherine Kearney.
 James Chambers Mitchell, born 21 Dec 1875; bapt 24 Apr 1876; William Chambers, Letitia Jones.
 Sydney John Mitchell, born 27 Nov 1877; bapt 8 Jan 1878; John Jones, Catherine Kearney.
 Rebecca Jane Mitchell, born 29 May 1879; bapt 23 Jun 1879;Margaret Carbery.
 Joseph Leslie Campbell Mitchell, born 6 Feb 1881; bapt 15 Feb 1881; Stephen Carbery, Ellen Carbery.
 Hubert Clarence Mitchell, born 16 Aug 1883; bapt 15 Nov 1883; Patrick Devine, R Devine.
 Mabel Eleanor Mitchell, born 9 Dec 1884; bapt 31 Dec 1884; Devine.

One of my relatives collected this information 20 or so years ago, but I do have a copy of the transcription of Francis George Mitchell's baptism.

I note that Stephen Carbery and Margaret Carbery were listed as godparents.   I am pretty sure that they are the brother and sister of Bridget Carbery who is listed on these nine baptisms as the mother.   As to the other godparents, including Ellen Carbery, I am not sure where they fit in - although it would seem that James Chambers (1875) gets his second name from his godfather William Chambers.

Regards,
Mark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 May 16 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hi JM and Essie,

I do have a copy of Francis George Mitchell's marriage cert.
Details are:
When and Where: Grant st Clifton Hill, 13 Nov 1893.
Names: Francis George Mitchell bachelor, Daisy Trayes Halliday, spinster.
Birth Place: both Collingwood Victoria.
Profession: Bootmaker, Cashier.
Residence: both Clifton Hill
Parents: John Mitchell, labourer, Bertha Power;   Thomas Halliday gentleman, Alice Webb.
Witnesses: Samuel Power, Thomas Halliday jnr.

As to your thought that Bertha Agnes may be a daughter of Margaret Carbery (nee Power) any thing is possible, but from Bertha's death certificate she was born in Westmeath Ireland around 1844 and from the shipping list Bridget was born in Tipperary Ireland around 1842.   As I have been unable to find when Bertha Agnes Power came to Australia (about 1852 according to her death certificate) and what happened to Bridget Carbery I often wonder if they are one and the same!

Mark

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 May 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
Who is the informant please on the death certificate for Bertha Agnes MITCHELL, d. 1913?

Where is she buried?

You have marriage certificates for the Mitchell sons and daughters, with mother's name Bertha Agnes POWER?

What is the earliest evidence that you see of Bertha Agnes in connection with the MITCHELL family ie the earliest of these marriage certificates?.......anything earlier than that?

William Walter MITCHELL, Sydney John MITCHELL and Hubert Clarence MITCHELL enlisted WW1.

At enlistment, 29 October 1915, William Walter MITCHELL gave NOK mother Bertha MITCHELL Grant St Clifton Hill.       William Walter MITCHELL   KIA  3 Dec 1916.

At 20 (30?) Nov 1916 NOK is amended to be Mrs R J BROWN 222 Park St Nth Fitzroy...(his sister Rebecca MITCHELL).

Bertha had been dead for two years when William named her as NOK.

I wonder if something has happened to mother Bridget CARBERY, and Bertha Agnes (UKN) has assumed a mothering role at some stage. The latest baptism with CARBERY mother is 1884, so older children would remember her.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 May 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
Where is she buried?

She is buried at Coburg Cemetery.
MITCHELL, Bertha Agnes
Roman Catholic.
Location RC*B***450.

I do not see others of the surname at that location.
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 May 16 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivinhoe and Sparrett,

The informant on Bertha Agnes Mitchell's death certificate is (Joseph) Leslie Campbell Mitchell, son.

I only have the marriage certificate for Francis George Mitchell and Daisy Trayes Halliday and this is the first marriage of the children, so I guess the first evidence of any link between Bertha Agnes and the Mitchells.

I have seen the service records of the three sons, but didn't pick up that anomaly with William Walter Mitchell's NOK.   Mrs R J Brown is his sister Rebecca Jane Mitchell (she married a James Brown in 1903).

Mabel Eleanor Mitchell (she married Thomas Toulen also in 1903) was buried in the same grave in 1914.   Francis George Mitchell and his wife Daisy Trayes, and Samuel Power Mitchell were also buried at Coburg cemetery in different graves.   There are also a few John Mitchells but none Roman Catholic if that means anything.

I have discussed this with my father and aunt but all they can remember is that no-one ever spoke of these events.

Regards,
Mark