Author Topic: Searching for my Romany roots.  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my Romany roots.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 June 16 15:56 BST (UK) »
Best to obtain marriage cert for William J Cooper, for info on father etc.  There are so many William John or James or other, difficult to pin down correct one.

Suggested DOB is June/Sept Qtr 1907, but there are still a few and POB Unknown.

Have not come across any Romany links since marriage

Good luck

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Neil Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 June 16 22:51 BST (UK) »
Best to obtain marriage cert for William J Cooper, for info on father etc.  There are so many William John or James or other, difficult to pin down correct one.

Good luck

Cas

This sounds correct as all romany links would od stoped when my great grandad got married. all, if any, links come from him only

Offline charlie.green

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 June 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
There is a great Romani group on FB if you are on it with plenty of others to help you.Romany heritage family history.
Green,Matthews,Drakeley,Lord,Measures,Taylor,Wilson,Else,Elverson,Bucknall,Swift,Patrick,Bruce,Bates,Beeby,Brown,Reed,

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 June 16 09:22 BST (UK) »

Good luck

Cas

This sounds correct as all romany links would od stoped when my great grandad got married. all, if any, links come from him only

An acknowledgement of research found, would be nice, or even a simple thanks.

Curious to know why you think past links were severed with your GG grandfather Romany or travellers roots when married.  It is a broad statement, from my limited knowledge with what I have read..appear to be clannish and very family oriented.  Just my thoughts....

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Neil Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 June 16 18:24 BST (UK) »
The reason i though this was because it was only ever my great granddad (and gossip from the other side of the family who spoke about these roots). My Dads friends always joking with him about selling some pegs, i never got that "joke". My Mothers mother used to live by them when see was younger and was mortified when she found out my mum was marrying my dad, the son of Joyce, a Cooper. They had a bit of a bad rep by all accounts. I think that is why when my nan got married and became a Davies she tried to keep it hush for the sake of education and not getting abuse etc etc.  Anyway it turns out that it was my great grandfathers granddad, a James cooper born in 1851 was the last "pure" Romany in my line as we cannot find any records of his parents or siblings. He seems to appear from thin air on the 1971 census and married a "country" girl. So although i was wrong that my Great Granddad was the first one to marry country he was defiantly the last to try and keep his roots alive, but my Nana was having non of it.

Offline Neil Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 June 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry. I actually did messge people saying thanks, there was that many helping i was kind of shocked and must of got confused and missed you out. An amazing lady from here has helped me out alot and i have been busy looking through her research and trying to get my head it round and simplfy it. Didnt mean to be rude
neil