Author Topic: Eygpt Certifcates  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Spanielle85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eygpt Certifcates
« on: Sunday 05 June 16 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm currently trying to find my grandfather's birth certificate he was born in Egypt in 1915. He has a biritsh passport which was registerd with the british consulate in Alexandria & also in the British Army before he moved to Australia.

I have tried to request his birth certificate from London but it wasn't successful. I have also tried to email the consultate in Cairo & Alexandria but they haven't replied.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to where I can find his birth certificate from?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eygpt Certifcates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 16 06:49 BST (UK) »
Have you tried:

British Nationals Armed Forces Births 1761-2005
British Nationals Born Overseas 1818-2005

Both available on FindMyPast.

From where in London did you request a Birth Certificate?
The GRO (where you need to ask) is based in Southport! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Spanielle85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 16 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi KGarrad,

Thanks for your feedback!

I have tried both on the website and unfortunately they came up with no results.

However I did manage to find 2 of his children listed on the website with  British Nationals Born Overseas 1818-2005.

I did raise a order request though the GRO for his birth certificate but i never received any information back if it could be obtained.  I could try again?

I do however have his british passport and also his sons birth certifcate from the British consulate in Alexandria.

So is there a way to find a service in eygpt that can request for birth certificates?

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 June 16 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm currently trying to find my grandfather's birth certificate he was born in Egypt in 1915. He has a biritsh passport which was registerd with the british consulate in Alexandria & also in the British Army before he moved to Australia.

I have tried to request his birth certificate from London but it wasn't successful. I have also tried to email the consultate in Cairo & Alexandria but they haven't replied.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to where I can find his birth certificate from?
  Why don't you try to contact the Egypt embassy in London  or  your local Egypt embassy?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 June 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
If you want to send me his name on a pm, I can check the GRO microfiche at the British Library to see if he is on one of the fiche that haven't been transcribed or if he has been mistranscribed.

www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Spanielle85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 16 04:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have spoken to the Egypt Embassy in Melbourne. I told them what i was searching for and pretty much said its impossible and laughed at my request. Or i just to go to Egypt myself. (Which is not what my plans are too do). So I have spoken to the London Passport Office, the GRO office and even in birth registry in Malta and no luck so far.

I was told there is a section within the London Passport office called disclosure of information. which they can release details of a passport, would this be any help? As I know his passport details?

I contacted the Australian embassy in Cairo they suggested for me to hire a lawyer as the registry doesn't speak English. There must be another way except for this?

Would anyone have access in to the achieves in London? As i am in Melbourne there isn't much I can do being geographically challenged.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
It's possible that he had no birth certificate or that his birth was registered quite a bit later than his birth. In order to get a British passport other documentation may have been accepted as proof of birth.

Have you read the information from National Archoves re: historical passport information?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/passports/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 July 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Spanielle

I checked the fiche at the British Library, Regimental births, army births and consular births.

There was no entry for Ant*(variant spellings) Trapani but there was an entry for Olga.

I can only suggest, that as Eqypt was a British Protectorate at the time of his birth, papers issued locally at the time most probably would have been sufficient for passport purposes.

I checked later births and found entries in the Consular records for H, M and N.

I won't post their names in full as they may still be alive or not relevant.

What are you trying to establish?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Tassie57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Eygpt Certificates
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 03:41 GMT (UK) »
My father was also born in Egypt, but slightly later (b. 1925 in Alexandria).

I managed to obtain a copy of his birth certificate (which was actually issued in 1935 when his father was sending the three children back to England - on thier own - although they had only ever lived in Alexandria at that point) via the Consular Registers and a subsequent request request to the GRO. (I'm in Australia too, BTW).

The Consular registers were once available free of charge online, but I think they may have been brought in to one of the commercial databases now - but I'm not sure which one.  Hold on....Just did a quick search an dit may be held on FindMyPast:  https://search.findmypast.com.au/search-world-Records/british-armed-forces-and-overseas-births-and-baptisms?sourceID=13&utm_source=affiliate&utm_content=Forebears&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=%20fmp_au&awc=5948_1581392388_febe7b42960fbca2d9aad6e2f6e9b133

I hope this is of some help  :)