Author Topic: Researching others FH  (Read 18026 times)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Researching others FH
« on: Sunday 05 June 16 10:38 BST (UK) »
Do others get those that want full history, without buying a cert.

I enjoy helping, but spent lots tracing my own.  Why post if your not at some point interested in doing this?

I don't get it, if interested, it's a financial maybe in future..

Those that ask for help, some never return, those when you state you need that cert, some just gone, do they think their FH can be done completely by another?

Know not all are like this, some are truly interested in their past, but just lately those I have chosen to help ...

Just a vent, think I need another hobby in my freetime from work.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Researching others FH
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 16 10:42 BST (UK) »
Cas I think we all get annoyed by people who think they can wave a magic wand and their entire family history will be presented to them on a plate,  free of charge.

The problem id they watch programmes like WDYTYA where this happens to the celebrities and they don't realize the costs involved.

Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 16 10:42 BST (UK) »
Yes.   I share your thoughts and ideas.

Its all to do with different personality, I think.

Some people relish the thrill      of the chase and investigation.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 June 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
I understand your 'vent' completely, although I wonder how many of those people are new to the hobby and perhaps don't realise that not everything is sitting on the internet waiting to be found?

My biggest frustration is with those who refuse to do any searching themselves but expect it all done for them.  Not everyone can afford subscriptions, I do understand that, but there are some wonderful free resources available and if people cant even be bothered to use those - and its usually evident from the original post - then I simply move on.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 June 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
They are missing so much by not having open minds.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 June 16 11:01 BST (UK) »
I feel your frustration. Just recently I have been helping on a couple of threads only to find the OPs having multiple threads asking for help, sometimes for the same thing.
One OP had an extensive tree on ancestry too. ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 June 16 11:01 BST (UK) »

My biggest frustration is with those who refuse to do any searching themselves but expect it all done for them.  Not everyone can afford subscriptions, I do understand that, but there are some wonderful free resources available and if people cant even be bothered to use those - and its usually evident from the original post - then I simply move on.

My biggest frustration is people not saying thank you,when you have just spent ALL afternoon looking up their rellies,and then to see them say...........I knew that Grrrrrrrr  >:(

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 June 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Its amazing how many just want info for free and don't reciprocate afterwards with any help for others.  I expect you have all come across the same. One poster managed to amass over 1500 posts with help from these boards but offered little or no help to anyone else.  A little selfish.  ::)
Never mind there are those that don't return or forget that little word "thank you".

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 June 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
Cas I think we all get annoyed by people who think they can wave a magic wand and their entire family history will be presented to them on a plate,  free of charge.

The problem id they watch programmes like WDYTYA where this happens to the celebrities and they don't realize the costs involved.

But if your interested in your own, past that,  you would surely not pursue?
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland