Author Topic: Researching William Closs and Sarah Printer Closs, Kirkoswald  (Read 2842 times)

Offline jdrintnt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Researching William Closs and Sarah Printer Closs, Kirkoswald
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 01:33 BST (UK) »
I checked the 1850 and 1860 U.S. Census.  The 1850 estimates him at 55 years old, and the 1860 estimates him at 60 years old.

But both list his place of birth as Scotland, and Sarah as Ireland.
I know during that period there was a lot of migration back and forth between Scotland and Ireland, so I imagine that he could have been born in either place...and met Sarah either in Ireland, or in Scotland....

I had a similar problem many years ago with a Great Great Grandfather on my mother's side in the U.S.   U.S. Census listed him as being born in one state, and the LDS records another.. I wasn't sure if it was the same person... eventually I found his grave stone, did a rubbing, and figured out they were the same individual. His family had migrated from one state to the next and back.. the census just recorded where he was living at the time, not where he was actually born...  That one took me years to resolve.

I know of two distant cousins that live not too far from the Cemetery where he is buried.  I'll see if one of them can do a rubbing.  But I fear we will need Parish records to find out for certain.

Offline Linda Jamieson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 April 19 00:37 BST (UK) »
This is my first time on Rootschat and I am excited to see the questions about William and Sarah. They are my 4x great-grandparents. My great-grandfather is John Closs. He married Annie Robb and ended up in Ontario, Canada. Anything I can learn about the Closs family is most welcome. I am travelling to Maybole this June and hope to find some graves and places where my ancestorsmat have lived.
Linda

Offline jdrintnt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 June 23 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone... I am back, and hope everyone made it through COVID OK.  I just decided to dive back into my Family Tree again after several years away.. and I just wanted to ask, does anyone had any new info on William Closs and Sarah Printer since our last conversation in 2016 ??