Author Topic: Sarah Kate PLUMRIDGE and George SHEPPARD  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Helen13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Kate PLUMRIDGE and George SHEPPARD
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the link. It helps me over the confusion with the two Sarah K SHEPPARD's as well. I did not know that there were two of the same first name and initial that died in the same quarter in 1927.

Many thanks in helping complete this branch of my tree.

Helen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
Suffolk Bishops Transcripts
George Sheppard baptized Coddenham Suffolk 2 February 1845 parents Simon and Maria.

An 1874 White's directory of Ipswich has a Simon Sheppard living on Myrtle Road, listed under Gardeners, Seeds men and jobbing Gardeners 

Added:
Simon Sheppard left a will, he was a market gardener who died 21 June 1878 at Ipswich, executors Maria Sheppard, widow and relict of "New Fountain" Inn, Myrtle Road Ipswich and  James Beaumont of 1 Beaumont Terrace, Felixstowe Road, Ipswich master mariner.

Offline Helen13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 June 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the information from the Suffolk Bishops transcripts for George Sheppard and the information on his father Simon Sheppard.

thanks
Helen

Offline Galloway007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 July 16 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was just researching something I have come across in my collection of antiques it is an old pub tankard with the name A. Dodd. Which I think is a relative of Edward Dodd (either wife or daughter). He was the landlord of the Crown and Anchor in Slough in 1839 (Robsons Directory). The tankard is from that pub. This indicates that at some time Ann Dodd must have been running the pub. As it is common for the tankards to have the landlords name on them. Any more light on the Dodd family would be great.

cheers Graeme

Offline Helen13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 July 16 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Graeme

Welcome to Rootschat.
I was not aware that a pub made a pub tankard with the landlords name on it.

I do not have that much information on the DODD family because my family married into the family.

I think that Edward DODD married Ann SILVER on 19 April 1824 in Stokes-Poges, Buckingham, England. However I have not verified this. This information was taken from FamilySearch.

I think that Edward DODD is the son of Benjamin and Ann DODD. He is on the census down as following -

1841 census HO107 61/12 folio 3 page 1
Albion Cottages Upton cum Chalvey  Buckinghamshire   
Edward Dodd 40  Buckinghamshire Lab
Ann Dodd 35 Buckinghamshire

1851 census HO 107 1718 folio 380 page 10
Crown & Anchor, Bath Road, Upton cum Chalvey, Eton, Buckinghamshire   
Edward Dodd 51 Wexham, Buckinghamshire, Head Married Brickmaker and beer seller
Ann Dodd 49 Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, Wife  Married

1861 census RG9 853 folio 97
25 High Street Upton with Chalvey  Buckinghamshire   
Edward Dodd 61  Wexham, Buckinghamshire,  Head  Married Brickmaker
Ann Dodd 58 Upton, Buckinghamshire,  Wife Married Brickmaker's wife

Edward DODD died on 13th December 1866 and he is buried on 19th December 1866 at Upton, Buckinghamshire, England.

His wife Ann is down at the Crown and Anchor Beerhouse in 1871.

1871 Census RG10 1401 folio 103
Crown and Anchor Beerhouse High Street Upton with Chalvey  Buckinghamshire   
Ann Dodd 69  Slough, Buckinghamshire,  Head Widow Beer House Keeper

Ann died on 9th May 1875 and is buried on 14th May 1875 at Upton, Buckinghamshire, England.

I do not know what happened to the Crown and Anchor Beerhouse after this time.
I hope this information is helpful because I have Edward DODD who has a mother Ann, a wife Ann and a daughter Ann. His daughter Ann married into the PLUMRIDGE family and is the mother of Sarah Kate PLUMRIDGE.

Cheers Helen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 July 16 06:25 BST (UK) »
If you go to the site pubhistory.com Buckinghamshire, it has the history of the Crown and Anchor until 1924. Edward Dodd is listed 1839 re Robson's Directory. 

Offline Galloway007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 July 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes I have looked at the pub history site.

Yes Helen, the pubs in those days used to have a number of tankards either for their clients to drink from or as measures for pouring out a pint or half pint. It was common practise to have the name of the landlord and the name of the pub on the outside of the tankard. Sometimes it just has the name or initials of the landlord, that makes it more difficult to trace. But there are also local authority verification marks stamped on these measures, that allows you to get the county of origin then you have to trace the landlord from the initials and then the name. WE are doing this as part of a pilot for a TV program called "Provenance" The point of the program it to buy antiques and then first trace their origins and then trace the owners descendants and then hopefully as the object mean more to people if their great-great-great grandfather owned it, they might then buy them and our experts compete to make a small profit. At the moment we are at the research stage, unfortunately we do not have the budget to go over to NZ to interview you ( a pity as I would have enjoyed the holiday). Might their be any direct descendants in the UK from Ann Dodd. I think from your information it would have been the wife that took over as Beer Retailer. Thanks for that information it also helps me date the tankard as she must have ordered it made after she took over the pub which would have been after the death of her husband. Cheers Graeme

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 August 16 10:21 BST (UK) »
Graeme I have just sent you a pm

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk