Author Topic: Did my G grandfather go back to Canada in 1947  (Read 735 times)

Offline springer5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did my G grandfather go back to Canada in 1947
« on: Thursday 09 June 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Great Grandfather was  a bit of a rogue, joining the army a 2nd time in 1916, saying he didn't have any dependents, though he did one aged 8 and one 2, i guess living with relatives.

He joined the CEF IN 1916 FOR 2ND time, the first being in 1915 in the Militia, The second is under his mothers maiden name James, William John James when he demobbed in England 1919 to be with his new family.

I have a document here. his pay slip? and the date say 1947, is that right, would he have gone back to Canada then?

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Did my G grandfather go back to Canada in 1947
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
The pay form was made out on May 13, 1919, two days prior to John's discharge where he chose to remain in England.  While the Canadian army is frugal in all regards it is doubtful that they would use a 38 year old document to record an embarkation to Canada in 1947.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 16 13:51 BST (UK) »
(Acknowledging manawakian's post) After "date" at the top there is 12 or 13/5/19.  The entries on the left seem to be all 1919 (balance 31/3/19, earnings 1/4/19 to 13/5/19).

It seems unlikely that a payslip for 1919 would still be current and have a date 28 years later so I wonder whether the "47" is a date although it does look like one?  (There was a 47th Battalion of the CEF).

Can't find him in the CEF archives?  Two William John James joining in 1916 have different numbers.

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 June 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

He attested as John James. In his service file, page 29, which you have given us a partial view,
further down that page there is a notation of £17-17-11. My guess would be that 23-3-47 would
be money owing as he demobbed in England.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hs0/

Cheers,
DB

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Perhaps £23 3 shillings and 4 pence being his credits minus debits converted to sterling from $Canadian?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 June 16 05:15 BST (UK) »
You said he attested using his mother's maiden surname. What was his real surname?

He listed himself as a widow. Was his first wife really dead? If so, it wasn't unusual back then for men to give up their young children if their wife died.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz