Author Topic: Does anyone know where Regents Terrace, Blyth is or was  (Read 6826 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where Regents Terrace, Blyth is or was
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 June 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
The map revisions at Blyth were carried out in 1896, and the map published 1897/8, so that could explain the reason why the buildings existed 1897/8 but probably didn't show on the map, since they were not in place when the revision was done. Blyth changed dramatically in a short period of time just pre 1900.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 June 16 16:46 BST (UK) »

I've just checked and those houses were not there on the 1897 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/431034/582113/12/100509  so can't be the Regent Terrace in the newspapers.

Stan

That's odd - there can't have been two Regents Terraces.  Cowpen Quay is definitely the right area but I'm wondering whether it's changes of names all round that is causing the problem.  Back then Regent Street ended much nearer the town centre and became Hodgsons Road before the left hand turn.  After that it was called Hodgsons Lane.  All very confusing when trying to overlay old maps on new ones.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 June 16 16:55 BST (UK) »
The name changes were brought about when Cowpen / Cowpen Quay and Waterloo were amalgamated into Blyth. There were duplicates with street names, so to avoid postal confusion, street names were altered.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 June 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
just to chip in, Regents Tce is still here in Blyth. It's as one poster said just on the end of Hodgsons Road at the ferry corner. there is about  8 houses,  there is a stone plaque  with the name Regents Terrace written on at end houses. Well worn, but still readable x  Dolly 
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 June 16 18:55 BST (UK) »
I think I've got it - this is what I'm told
At the top of Regent Street where the road curves to the left into Hodgsons Road the houses on the left hand side (opposite the road to the ferry) was Regents Terrace.  Just a few houses.
The name may still be on the houses (as in Phodgetts illustration) but not sure.
Christine

That is correct.
There must have been an earlier Regent Terrace, the one in the Newspapers. In the 1911 Summary Book the enumerator has the note that Regent Terrace is a block of 5 Private Houses No 5,7,9,11, 13, and one house block No. 15 as shown on this map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/431012/582078/12/101116
No. 13 is at the corner of Argyle Street
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 June 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
Well done, dolly dimples, big medal and a bunch if flowers to you.  Hope the author of this thread finds what she has been looking for, when she arrives in Blyth.  After looking at the links with side by side maps - depression for me - my Grandmother's house, and where father grew up, is now a car park.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 June 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
Well done, Dolly  :D

As Phodgetts says, there were a lot of duplicated names when Blyth and Cowpen councils amalgamated - most of the Cowpen ones were changed.  But to have both streets in the region of Cowpen Quay is unusual.

That means that the street view link posted by Stan should be those houses. 
Would you agree Dolly?

Christine

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 June 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
Well thank's Pityacker, you got me blushing!
   Actually there was a thread on here sometime ago about this terrace... I actually took a walk down then and found the houses and the street name still intact. I do pass the place often, but had never noticed the old plaques with the name on . I actually took a photo then, but sad to say I lost the mobile that I had them on..
    Christine, yes, I would say that it is one and the same street that Stan posted.
                     the houses  (if exactly the same ones)are in pretty good condition,
                                     Dolly x

Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 June 16 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the contributions to the thread. One of my Blyth friends went out to day to take photographs of the terrace and look at the street name stones to see if we are all proved correct, and we are. Regent Terrace is indeed on the corner of Hodgson's Road. Looking at old maps it seems numbers 1 and 3 have been demolished, but the remainder of the row, 5 - 13 still stand, number 13 being the right most gable property.

All I ask Susie is that you share a little more information about your father, but we could do that by private message if you prefer. It is interesting to have details of some of the folk who lived in certain places at certain times, and my friend who took the pictures would love to know more. He has a huge interest in this part of Blyth with historic family connections to some of the streets and buildings like the church that was close by the old Buffalo Inn.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Blyth and seeing the house.

P