Author Topic: Cadwallader/Wallander TN  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Cadwallader/Wallander TN
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 June 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
I'm just typing a long explanation of something.  I'll post it in a moment. 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 June 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is any chance that John's parents could be William and Phebe Cadwalender (and William's father was John Cadwalender)?  [I just read your post and see that his father was supposed to have been "Wm D".  I cannot preview my post - hopefully it makes sense and there are no errors.]   ;)
The link that Genealiza found (the actual image, not the typed sheet) shows only four marriage bonds for Cadwallender/Cadwalender in Bedford County:
John and Mary in 1791
William and Phebe in 1818
John and Elizabeth in 1845
William and Nancy in 1852

It's purely speculation, but I thought I would mention it...

http://www.vagenweb.org/bedford/bedf-m_c.htm
Bedford County, Virginia
December 22, 1818, William Cadwallender and Phebe B. Stephens
  William McGlothlan, Surety

Your John born c1819 in North Carolina

...6th Sep 1845, Bedford County, VA for John Cadwalander to Elizabeth Martin, dt of Wm D. They wed on 7th Sep 1845."

March 10, 1852  William Cadwalender & Nancy Newman
  Samuel H. Wilkes, Surety

1791, John and Mary Collins, dt Sary
   Elisha Cundiff, Surety

Virginia Deaths and Burials
William Cadwalender, born c1794, Bedford
Death:  8 October 1872, Bedford County, Virginia
Farmer
Father:  John Cadwalender

1860 Southern Revenue District, Bedford, Virginia
Wm Cadwalender, age 62, Farm Laborer
Nancy, age 35
  and children
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01htm/

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 June 16 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lisa.
I've been sent a page from 'American Quaker Marriages' which shows John T Cadwalader  born 15th May 1820: parents; Mahlon (sic) & Elizabeth Cadwalader. I read somewhere that this Elisabeth may have had the maiden name Douglas. This seems to be borne out by one of their sons being named Achilles Douglas Cadwallader., b1822.

I think some of the internet 'info' suggests that John T Cadwalader became a Walander, although there appears to be a John T Cadwalader appearing in later censuses.

I'm off to the pub now, so hope I have a clear head tomorrow!
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 June 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
I'm leaning toward John's father being William, but it's early in the research yet.

Have a good evening!   :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 June 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy
"South Review Monthly Meeting"
Mentions a Moses, John and Mahlon of Goose Creek.  Not sure if Goose Creek is in Bedford County.  The men aren't necessarily related; there are over 30 entries of Cadwalladers.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:21 BST (UK) »
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy
"South Review Monthly Meeting"
Mentions a Moses, John and Mahlon of Goose Creek.  Not sure if Goose Creek is in Bedford County.  The men aren't necessarily related; there are over 30 entries of Cadwalladers.

The father of Moses, John and Mahlon could be Jesse Cadwallader.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=46983043

(So, most likely not closely related to your John.)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:33 BST (UK) »
(At least) One of the family trees on Anc... does not show parents of "your" Mahlon Wallander.

Looking at the above link, I wonder if "your" Mahlon was connected to the family.
From the link:
"Jesse Cadwallader was born on September 26, 1772 to Moses Cadwallader and Elizabeth Mahlon."

Was your Mahlon a biblical name, or could he have been another son of Moses and Elizabeth?   :-\

Perhaps you already know about this possible connection.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
...'American Quaker Marriages' which shows John T Cadwalader  born 15th May 1820: parents; Mahlon (sic) & Elizabeth Cadwalader. I read somewhere that this Elisabeth may have had the maiden name Douglas.

From a typed page (not an original image) of Our Quaker Friends of ye olden time...
Mahlon Cadwalader, son of Thomas and Jane Cadwalader married Elizabeth Douglas, daughter of Achillis and Elizabeth Douglas.  Married at South "Eiver" Meeting-house June 10, 1809.

This copy only mentions William, Jane, Deborah and Judith as the children of Mahlon and Elizabeth Cadwalader.  Perhaps they moved out of the area prior to John's birth?

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 June 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, Lisa. I hope that a Cadwallader from one of these families will opt for a Y-DNA test & clear things up. The Wallander Y-DNA testee has a very ancient British profile, so there may be something in this link.
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland