Author Topic: Julia Macarthy of Crookhaven, Annie Jane shipwreck survivor  (Read 498 times)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Julia Macarthy of Crookhaven, Annie Jane shipwreck survivor
« on: Tuesday 14 June 16 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody

I had a mission impossible up to now, trying to find a Julia Macarthy from Ireland no age no location.
She was a mother of twins; four months old, boys I think, and she lost one in the shipwreck, the other survived, Described as on the way to join her husband in America, that was all we had to go on.
Would love to give the lost child the dignity of a name and the survivor of course.
Now we have discovered she was from Crookhaven, its described as her place of nativity in a newspaper article in 1853.
So looking for someone local who can help and access baptism records for the time period April to July of 1853 for the area around Crookhaven.
Its beginning to look like a lot of the Annie Jane survivors never tried again and who could blame them, so she may have gone home after the shipwreck , never to leave.

Website is http://www.anniejane.net/

There were another 4 McCarthy's aboard the ship  who were lost in the tragedy: Timothy, Katherine and two Margaret's, a high possibility now that some might come from the same area, I would say that it is highly unlikely she would have been traveling alone with such young children.

Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks for reading, Allan