Author Topic: What happened to Elizabeth Orchard/Meaden/Verion  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Elizabeth Orchard/Meaden/Verion
« on: Wednesday 15 June 16 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a problem of many years standing that I hope someone can help me with.  Elizabeth Ann ORCHARD was baptised 13 Dec 1846 at Chickerell near Weymouth, daughter of Thomas Orchard and his wife Eliza GRANT.  She married Edward MEADEN/MEADON on 9 Aug 1868 at Melcombe Regis.  They had two children Edward Jr born and died 1869 and Alice born 1870.  Edward Snr died Mar 1870 aged 27. 

Elizabeth next appears in the 1871 census where she is listed as a widow, occupation housekeeper, living on her own at 24 Wesley Street, Melcombe Regis.  Baby Alice was reared by her Orchard grandparents.  I was told by Alice's daughter that Elizabeth married a Mr Verion and had a family of daughters.

However the only further mentions of Elizabeth are when she was the informant on her sister Alice's death certificate in 1886 and her mother's death certificate in 1888 when she made her mark both times as Elizabeth Verion of Chesil.

I can't find - a marriage for her to Mr Verion under various spellings, any children born to Verion's around the 1870s, 1880s with Elizabeth as a mother - I can't find her in any census from 1881 onward under Meaden or Verion and I can't find her death under either name.  I have tried various spellings of both names and searched the whole of England but nothing positive has turned up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my problem?
Many thanks
Kerrie
Australia
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Elizabeth Orchard/Meaden/Verion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 07:53 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - I wonder if the Elizabeth listed on the death certs  and living at Chesil might possibly be this one -but I can't see any connection at the moment  :-\
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5RS-X5X
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKX7-1QPW

Kay

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
No, this is another Elizabeth Verion, she's about 20 years older than my Elizabeth and is possibly related somehow, given the rarity of the name.

Thanks
Kerrie
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Verion family in the Portland area are George Thomas Verion and Elizabeth Peters and their children.
Their only son George Thomas born 1846 disappears after the 1861 census and yet they have a granddaughter Ellen born 1878 living with them on the 1881 census.She seems to have a birth registration in Thanet Kent.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 16 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that clue, I wonder if the missing George Thomas is the husband/partner of my Elizabeth.  But why have they disappeared?  Are you related to the family?

Kerrie

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
The last time I can see George mentioned is in the Dorset County Chronicle on 5 February 1863

In the County Petty Sessions  Frederick Skinner, Richard Keeping, George Verion, jun., and William Worden. lads of Portland, were summoned by Henry Stone lor obstructing the highway on the 9th of January.   The boys congreated by his house and inflicted damage on his windows by playing "cat" and throwing stones.  They were fined 1 shilling each or 1 weeks imprisonment.

Kay

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 June 16 11:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay, now we know he was still alive and in Portland in 1863.  But he seems to disappear after that.  A mysterious family.
Kerrie