Author Topic: Christina McIntosh and Augustus Francis Merlet Sandhurst { Bendigo} Victoria  (Read 8122 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christina McIntosh and Augustus Francis Merlet Sandhurst { Bendigo} Victoria
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 June 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
Information was submitted to this publication. I hold the publication which has been in my family since 1888.

Victoria and its Metropolis: Past and Present Published Melbourne, Nov 1888.

MACINTOSH Charles J.P Glenorchy, is a native of the Isle of Skye, Scotland, who came to this colony with his parents in 1851.  He accompanied them to various gold rushes with his parents and finally removed to his present station.  He owns about 12,000 sheep and has considerable tracts of land and about 4000 acres purchased at Callawadda, some few miles distant.  Mr Macintosh's father, soon after arriving in this colony, took charge of a flock of sheep near Geelong and continued at that occupation, when he removed to Digger's Rest, Ballarat, Creswick and the Ovens (Beechworth), returning to Geelong and holding the position of second in command to the governor of the local gaol.  He went to the Wimmera in June, 1865, took up his first selection there, and grew the first wheat in the district at Callawadda station, which is now held by his widow, Mr C Mcintosh's mother.  Mr Macintosh was the first secretary of the first Selectors' and Farmers' Association in that part of the colony, formed about 1867, its headquarters being in Stawell.  He has been a shire councillor and J.P since 1877, and has passed through the presidential chair, has always taken an active part in all public matters tending to the advancement of water conservations and the formation of free libraries &c., in various places.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christina McIntosh and Augustus Francis Merlet Sandhurst { Bendigo} Victoria
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 June 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
I am bowled over with the information.

I am not a descendant but my husband is and so are my sons

Christina . Archibald's daughter married and left for New Zealand

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 June 16 02:24 BST (UK) »
Yes you mentioned Christina moving to NZ in your first post and I have given you links to information about Francis leaving Bendigo.

Passenger record of the family leaving Melbourne in 1876.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hth/

I should have mentioned that the entries to Victoria and its Metropolis: Past and Present were often written by the submitter and naturally everything was in glowing terms. I've had a few giggles reading some of the entries including one of my ancestors :-X

If you want you can search the Victorian Government Gazettes to see that both Archibald and Charles were granted land leases, leases were not paid and therefore forfeited etc etc. Similar history for many early settlers.
http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/

Cando

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 June 16 04:02 BST (UK) »
Your help Cando has been fabulous as has everyone else's. It's amazing what information is still there.

My next plan is to try to unlock more information on my own great grandparents Donald MacDonald / McDonald and Jane Lamont. They came from Scotland via Queensland to Sandhurst ( Bendigo) where Jane died of ovarian cancer. Donald who at her death was a labourer then went on to become a wealthy landowner on the Murray. Curious to know where I should look for this information

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 June 16 04:23 BST (UK) »
Who were Donald's parents?

Could we also have some dates please?

Lots of resources at the top of the board.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 June 16 04:52 BST (UK) »
I see that Jane died in 1872 and is buried in the Bendigo Cemetery.

Do you know the dod for her husband?

Cando

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 17 June 16 05:35 BST (UK) »
Yes I do have all this other information. What I'm curious to understand is where should I go to try to understand how Donald in a decade or two went from rags to riches so to speak. I want to know more about who he worked for in Sandhurst. I know he allowed a relative to care for his young daughter Annie-Jane but he brought up his son Ewen. I know this information will be difficult to find. I visited Bendigo Library and found out a little. Maybe that's where I need to go again. Thank you

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 17 June 16 08:16 BST (UK) »
He really didn't go from rags to riches.  Anyone could apply for a 640 acre 'block' when land was subdivided under the Closer Settlement Act. As Victoria recovered from the effects of the 1890's depression, the demand for farming land increased. However, most land suitable for agriculture had already been selected or was part of a large Pastoral Estate. The Victorian Government became concerned about the loss of farmers to other colonies and attempted to stem the flood of farmers from Victoria and increase the numbers of those working the land by acquiring large estates and breaking them into small farms. Many of the subdivisions had blocks which were a mile square ie 640 acres.

It would appear from Donald's probate file that he had two 640 acre blocks, one of which he was in the process of selling ie the title had not been transferred but his probate file show the purchaser owed the full amount. Both of these 'blocks' were heavily mortgaged. The home block wasn't fully cleared. So he wasn't a wealthy landowner on the Murray. The amount declared for probate was £986.6.11 which would be the balance after the mortgages had been paid.

I live on a farm which consists of 13 'blocks' which were subdivided from Crown Land around 1905.  The holdings in many areas were far too small for a farmer to make a living.  Many men with limited capital saw an opportunity to become farmers however they had to clear the land, build homes and sheds, sink bores and fence the properties.  Many walked off their properties.

His probate file gives the title details of the two properties. 

Donald did not enrol to vote.

Australian Electoral Roll
1903, 1905  Moira/Yielima
MACDONALD Ewen  Yielima  Farmer

Cando