Author Topic: Legal marriage age in 1820's and alternative name query  (Read 992 times)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Legal marriage age in 1820's and alternative name query
« on: Thursday 16 June 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hello :)

I am having a bit of trouble pinning down my Scottish ancestors ( they are a bit elusive ) and so I am having to narrow down likely candidates any way I can.

I was wondering what the legal age of marriage in Scotland was in 1820. If the bride was under the age of 16, would she need permission from a parent/guardian and would be recorded anywhere?.

I would also really like to know if the names Isabella and Isobel were inter-changable, rather like Jean and Janet etc

Many thanks in advance

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Legal marriage age in 1820's and alternative name query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)

This is a great site for first name variants www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=isabella

Re legal ages historically for marriage, it was 12 for girls and 14 for boys. See www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/getting-married-in-scotland/minimum-age-for-marriage-in-scotland  Have to say, I have yet to come across a marriage with those ages on my research...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 16 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)

This is a great site for first name variants www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=isabella

Re legal ages historically for marriage, it was 12 for girls and 14 for boys. See www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/getting-married-in-scotland/minimum-age-for-marriage-in-scotland  Have to say, I have yet to come across a marriage with those ages on my research...

Monica

Hi Monica

Thank you so much for your reply and for the links.

I have to agree with you, i've never come across anyone married that young either. Or maybe i'm just not looking for it. Ah well, I guess that means i've even more options now. It's also interesting that you could be married that young and not need permission or consent...wow, i'm a bit shocked.

As for the names, I am assuming that is then possible to be baptised as Isobel, but call yourself Isabella later on. The name variant site is fascinating. I never realised that Oats was an alternative for Charles.  No wonder I have so many brickwalls!

Thanks again :)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 16 18:04 BST (UK) »
Bear in mind that prior to 1855 not all Baptisms and Marriages were recorded in Scotland. Many that were recorded may not have survived.