Author Topic: Does anyone know whether Kelly's Directory is still Searchable On-line?  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Some time back I found an Entry for my Grandfather William James Wilson listed as a News Agent and Vendor at 113 St Helens Road, Swansea in Kelly's directory for Monmouthshire and South Wales for 1895 (on page 1130).

I'm trying to search back and see if there are any earlier listings for him, but I can't seem to find the Historical Directories On-line Site any more... Does anyone know if it still exists, and if so are Kelly's Directories for South Wales still searchable on-line?

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know whether Kelly's Directory is still Searchable On-line?
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
Just in case you haven't seen this later reference

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3360037/3360040/38/

Regards
Roger

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 16 23:03 BST (UK) »

Many Thanks for those Links Roger, - much appreciated.

Yes, I had found that Newspaper Article, - there are about three entries that I found concerning my Grandfather. There's one in The South Wales Daily News for 30th July 1898, where a 10yr old girl, Margaret Harris, was accused of stealing a hat and two spoons(!) from the shop at 113 St Helens Road, Swansea. Another gives details of my Grandfather's Invention, 'The Wilson Air Purifier'.

It was from the 30th July 1898 Article that I realised that there had been a shop at 113 St Helens Road. The Entry from the Kelly's Directory for 1895, on Page 1130 lists William James Wilson of 113 St Helens Road as a Newsagent and Vendor.

For some reason, I can't make the Link that you've posted open at that page! (Very frustrating). However, I have it in my notes.

(It would seem that The Historical Directories Site has gone, but The University of Leicester has taken over the resource. I will keep trying to open it at the right page).

The Link that you posted says that William James Wilson started in business in 1893, and so I'm wondering if that's when he first opened a shop. On my eldest Uncle's Birth Cert, in June 1894, 113 St Helens Road seems to have been known as '4 Leslie Terrace', and so I'm wondering if thats the Address I should be searching under.

Many Thanks,
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 16 23:29 BST (UK) »
The Historical Directories Online was always a part of the University of Leicester I believe.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 16 07:54 BST (UK) »
I can't get a direct link to the page,but if you open up the Part 2 link,then select Page 344 from the drop down list on the right,that will take you there.

Regards
Roger

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 June 16 09:59 BST (UK) »

Thanks Roger, I've been trying the second Link as you advise, but it doesn't work for me:-(

I don't know why... but will keep trying.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 June 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
You need the Adobe Acrobat Add-In? ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)