Author Topic: Can anybody help? Walker family of Hull  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody help? Walker family of Hull
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 March 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Deb for your posting.

I am still interested in this family and would welcome any further information that you have on William Harrison, his wife Mary Walker nee Saltwell and Mary's late husband Samuel.

Regards
Wendy

Offline YorkshireDebsie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody help? Walker family of Hull
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 March 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Mary Saltwell's children by her first husband Samuel Walker and her first three children by her second husband William Harrison were all baptised on the same day 28th June 1837 at Hull Holy Trinity.  Loads of families had groups of children baptised in the months of Mary and June 1837 because they believed that if they did not do so they would have to complete a birth registration when Civil Registration came in on the 1st July that year.  This wasn't the case but it seems to have caused a bit of a panic and thus huge numbers of children were baptised (or even re-baptised) in these months.  Here are the dates;
William son of the late Samuel and Mary Walker of Sculcoates, Mariner born 22 Dec 1820
Harriet daughter of the late Samuel & Mary Walker, Sculcoates, Mariner born 12 Nov 1825
John son of William & Mary Harrison, Sculcoates, Mariner born 6 Aug 1832
Sarah dau of William & Mary Harrison, Sculcoates, Mariner born 28 Sep 1834
Mary dau of William & Mary Harrison, Sculcoates, Mariner born 23rd November 1836.

Mary b.1836 is my husbands 3x great grandmother.  On the 1841 census there is a William and Harriet Walker of the correct ages living next to the Harrisons.  I am pretty confident that these are all the children of Mary Saltwell - Walker - Harrison.

There are also birth dates for the four children of Mary's sister Grace Elizabeth her her husband Thomas Walker (they were baptised on the same day 28th June 1837)
Samuel born 22 Sep 1828
Jane born 1 Oct 1831
Mary born 19 Mar 1834
Thomas born 9 Dec 1836

If you prefer to email me directly about this you can reach me at deb.m.walker@ntlworld.com

Best Wishes

Deb