Author Topic: Burial record. How can I locate Eleanor Gibson grave? Wigton - Maryport  (Read 1748 times)

Offline s-gibson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for some time now the burial place of my great gran Eleanor Gibson.
Born in Maryport in 1886 - father James gibson and mother Ann gibson.
She was from a poor family and worked as a domestic servant all her life, had a child out of wedlock age 35 in 1921 in Wigton Highfield workhouse. (that child was my grandad)
I have her death certificate but it doesn't state where buried.
Place of death was Highfield Workhouse Wigton on 31 October 1933 age 47. Spinster never married.
I had a priest do a search for me in Wigton cementery station hill, was told she is not buried there.
There are probably discharge and admission records of her coming in and out of the workhouse aswell..
I just want to know if it's possible someone could do a search for me from an archive and find where she is buried.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial record. How can I locate Eleanor Gibson grave? Wigton - Maryport
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 16 16:05 BST (UK) »
tried numerous sites for cemetery records but no luck , thing is if Eleanor died in the workhouse with no family to bury her she would have had a paupers burial , have you tried getting in touch with wigton town council www.wigtontown.com  if you contact them they should be able to either help or point you in the right direction somewhere there must be cemetery records , I appreciate you say you've had a priest do a look up [ was Eleanor roman catholic ? ] but still worth doing a direct approach yourself  another source worth contacting is the Cumbria family history society they have a forum which you could join .
sorry to not be able to help more Eleanor deserves to be found .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 16 16:13 BST (UK) »
If you live in that County, Cumbria,      then a personal visit  to the cemeteries in that district  may be your best course.

Ask the manager or administrator for their help.  If they still hold the manual registers, then they should be able to look up the dates and the burials.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline s-gibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 16 16:30 BST (UK) »
To T-mo

Thanks for reply, I don't think I have contacted the council, but will try now. I don't know anything about Eleanor so don't know if she was Catholic (doubt it never baptised)
I do know she worked and lived close to her father and 2 brothers. So she did have family, whether they were on speaking terms I don't know.
Would their be a record of paupers grave?

It baffles me because the only two churches in Wigton (Wigton cementery and Wigton St Marys) She is in neither of them. They are both just down the road from the workhouse.
God knows where they buried her! Haha
Will have to go to archives in Carlisle one day I guess.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Checked the Wigton cemetry (station Hill) records and her name definitely doesn't appear.  There were burials of people that had died at Highfield.

J
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk