Author Topic: Looking for Lilian Kenyon, Australia  (Read 8848 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Lilian Kenyon, Australia
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 July 16 06:21 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't it be nice if it is your Lilian?  :)

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 July 16 07:05 BST (UK) »
Yes it would be nice.  Also found other little bits of information today as follows:

William George Kenyon was born on 27 August 1924 at 128 Abel Smith street, Wellington, NZ.  A check of Wises Directory and Paperspast shows that this was a private maternity hospital and appears to have been called "Waimarie".

William George Kenyon and Bruce Manifold Kenyon were enrolled at the Ngaio school on 5 September 1932.  William was there until 19 December 1935 and Bruce until 5 June 1936.  At the time of enrolment at Ngaio school their parent/guardian was given as W Kenyon.  Address is given as Perth street.  Their previous school was Lyall Bay school, Wellington.

A check of the Wises Directory for Perth street, Ngaio for 1929, 1934 and 1939 show no Kenyon listed.  Checking through the names none of them appeared to have a connection except for a G Munro, Engine Driver living in Perth street.  The same information appears in 1934 and in 1939 living at 3 Perth street is a George B Munro, Engine Driver.  A check of the electoral rolls shows this to be George Brown Munro.

The eldest daughter of Annie Walker nee Hunt is Irene Claire Walker who married in 1929 Walter John Wright Munro in Wellington, NZ.  Walter was a Railway Employee.  I am checking to see if there is a connection between Walter Munro and George Munro.

WNW

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 July 16 07:45 BST (UK) »
There's a George B church minister  :D :http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=NZH18780325.2.25.6&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----0%22George+B+Munro%22-- 
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 July 16 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

Yes, I have also spotted that however the George B Munro that I am looking for is an Engine Driver.

WNW

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 02:26 BST (UK) »
I have now received a copy of the death registration of William Kenyon.
He died on 24 May 1950 at 55 Crofton Road, Wellington, NZ age 65 yrs.  Occ - Company Director.
Parents: Charles Manifold Kenyon/Cecilia Smiley.  Father's occ - Hatter
William was born in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia and had been in NZ 30 years.
Where married: Wellington
At what age:  39        26
To whom married: Anne Hunt
Age of widow: 56
If issue living - gender and age - M 25, 23

I don't seem much further ahead with this information.  "Family tree" information indicates that William was born in 1884 in Collingwood, Victoria and the death registration does tell me that he arrived in NZ c 1920.  Details of his first wife are not recorded although a marriage at age 26 is around the time of the first William Kenyon/Catherine Hubbard marriage in 1909 in Sydney.

A second marriage at age 39 would make it c1923 ie conveniently before the birth of the first child in 1924.  I know from the marriage registration that William and Annie married in 1945, so all this appears a "fiction".

The informant for the registration was the Undertaker.

Will keep researching.

WNW

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 03:53 BST (UK) »
That's disappointing.

I doubt our ancestors considered that their little furfies would cause issues many decades later.  ;) ;)

Jamjar

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 July 16 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes ::)
Not a lot of new information on the death certificate and of course although the undertaker was completing the information on the certificate, the "facts" were being gathered from a family member who gave the truth as they knew it, or what they wished recorded.  No need for verification ::)

It will be very interesting to see the marriage details you have ordered for Lizzie/Lillian INWOOD .
If her parents' names are recorded accurately, it may help with her identity.

It is mysterious indeed .
We have the marriage certificate of the elder daughter, Irene Claire WALKER in 1929 in NZ recording her mother as Annie KENYON nee HUNT formerly WALKER, so Annie was freely using the KENYON surname while at the same time, Lillian was at the Crofton Rd address also calling herself KENYON (married)
Recorded there in 1925.

And then there is the mystery 7 month old boy named KENYON travelling about with Lillian and the two older children of William KENYON and Annie  nee HUNT formerly WALKER who was divorced from her husband in 1927.
Keep us posted. :o
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 14 July 16 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I have checked the NZ BMD index for 1932/33 and the only Kenyon birth that I can find is for Ian Aubrey KENYON born in 1933.  Ian died in 2007.

I have a copy of a school record for Ian Aubrey Kenyon which states that his birth date is 10 February 1933.  In September 1933 Mrs Lilian Kenyon is travelling from Wellington to Sydney with Master baby Kenyon aged 7 months and Master Bruce Kenyon 6yrs.

Ian Kenyon would have been 7 months in Sept 1933, so the infant could possibly be him.

The school record for Ian shows his admission date at Kairanga school (Palmerston North, NZ) on 6 February 1942, his parent/guardian as being Mr A Kenyon.  Last school was College st, Palmerston North and destination is Howick, Auckland.

After checking online electoral rolls either side (1938 & 1946) of the year 1942 I found an Aubrey Ernest Kenyon in Palmerston North who married in 1926 Leonie Wells Webster.  Aubrey's father Ernest Henry Kenyon married in 1900 (1) Emma Isabel Sparks who died in 1921 and (2) Barbara Eliza Gedge in 1923.

So far I have been unable to find a connection between William Kenyon and Ernest Henry Kenyon/Aubrey Ernest Kenyon.

Any thoughts/suggestions for further research?

WNW

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 14 July 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am not sure about Ian Aubrey born 1933 :-\

Depending on the findings on the INWOOD marriage certificate, you may have to explore the possibility that Annie and Lillian are one in the same person after all.

Annie WALKER wished to travel to NZ and ,as both her (KENYON) boys, Bruce and William, were NZ born , this was before 1923 or 24.

Her divorce had not come through and William KENYON's wife, Catherine, was still alive.
Perhaps a quick change of first  name for the duration of the "waiting period" was a convenient solution which might offer a little cover.  This was dropped the moment the news of Catherine's death came through.

The travelling back and forth to NSW then makes sense and one of these trips, as noted , seems to be with her daughter. The shipping record shows "Mrs Kenyon born in Aust" which of course, Annie was as HUNT.

Anyhow, just thoughts.
Sue 

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk